Looking at classical guitars on eBay - maybe a Yamaha G-60 A by Nippon Gakki Co Ltd - worth having??

michelew

Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:03 pm

If you've been reading my thread called Are nylon stringed guitars better for predominantly finger style players? you'll know that I'm considering buying a nylon string guitar, as I'd like to explore more classical/baroque/renaissance style songs and test out whether I have a preference for either steel or nylon stringed guitars.

I decided to see if I could pick up a cheap but reasonably good entry level nylon string guitar on eBay. That way if I can't get used to the extra width of the neck of a classical guitar there's nothing lost. Here is one I'm looking at. It is a Yamaha G-60 A made by Nippon Gakki Co Ltd - sometime in the mid '70's. I've read a couple of reviews and they seem to be a solid guitar. I haven't and won't be taking a look at the actual guitar before purchase, so it's a gamble. They have sold for $80-$100 recently in Australia. But, I'm unlikely to offer much more than about $50 or so without see it.

Any views on this make?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 500wt_1105

I've put this in a new thread as the subject has changed a little.

Thanks

Chasplaya

Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:13 pm

Same reviews as on the other thread

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... /G60A/10/1

I'd actually ask the seller to post more photos of the neck and back close ups of the bridge etc , old guitars lift at the bridge so you need to see that. It may go for more than $50 if its in good condition though, i'd buy it if satisfied about the condition and possibly pay more.

michelew

Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:17 pm

Thanks Chas - done. Good thinking!

haoli25

Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:58 am

Michele, if you can get it at a good price, buy it. If you decide that you like playing nylons strings and the classical style(I think you will), you can always put it back on eBay and upgrade to a better guitar. Yamaha are actually pretty good for the price. I don't think you can go wrong with giving it a try.

Bill

michelew

Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:28 am

Thanks Bill. That's my thinking too at this point. Now for the - 'getting it at a good price' bit.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

Michele

quincy451

Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:48 am

I like it. Might have to go some new tuners at some point. But I like the coloring on
the top and the idea of getting the aged sound of a solid wood top. Nice find.

AcousticAl

Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:36 pm

Thought I'd comment here..

I bought a Fender Strat on Ebay about a year ago. Got what I think was a pretty good price for it. BUT what I didn't plan on was the duty cost at the border. It wasn't such a good deal after that- and duty is usually the buyers' responsibility on Ebay. I'd suggest you buy locally on Ebay to avoid extra costs.

*edit- guess I should mention that I bought the guitar from someone in the States and he had to ship it to Canada.

michelew

Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Thanks Quincy - good to have that confirmed as I'm a newbie at this.

Thanks Al. As it happens, I was considering buying a USB microphone (a Blue snowball) from the US through eBay recent. That is until I realised that I needed to pay duty and taxes and that the seller couldn't or wouldn't tell me how much that would be. It's a shame because they cost half the price in the US even with exchange rates and I can't get it on Amazon either.

BTW - the guitar I'm looking at is in the Sydney metropolitan area, so no duty to worry about (or anywhere else is Australia for that matter).

ta

Michele

michelew

Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:09 am

I was outbid - didn't want to go above AU$100 without seeing it. That may have been a poor decision, but I didn't really know what it was worth. And it could have had a bent neck or worst. I'm feeling a little blue... I was looking forward to putting on new strings and a sweet sound (even having to change out the head stock). So the search begins a new.

quincy451

Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:08 am

makes sense. From what I know from the ebay posting. This is a guitar that was played for about a year and then stored for many years. Nothing wrong with that. Just a question of how and where it was stored and how much care was taken when it was played. Mine was stored for years...yea in a hard shell case in a humid room.

If the guitar did time in a car trunk that could be very bad, or if it got wet that could be very very bad or if it was banged around.

But alas you have inspired me to search ebay for the classical guitars new and old. I have not found any find such as this. But I did find some accessories for my guitar. Such things as string beads for consistent ties at the bridge that do not damage the instrument, fret dots, and bridge covers. All interesting stuff to me.

Thanks,
David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic