Looking at classical guitars on eBay - maybe a Yamaha G-60 A by Nippon Gakki Co Ltd - worth having??

michelew

Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:54 am

Thanks David. Now I'm second guessing myself. Must stop that...

But, you're right. There's all sorts of interesting things for sale. This morning I learned about how you can improve the tone and punch of your base strings and treble strings by using bone pins (or buffalo horn) on the 3 base strings and ebony pins on the top 3 strings. They sell black buffalo and ebony pins (2 different sets) in eBay. Might check them out some day.

So - regarding the beds - wouldn't they tap against the body and be annoying and perhaps even damage the finish of the top?

Chasplaya

Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:04 pm

michelew wrote:
I was outbid - didn't want to go above AU$100 without seeing it. That may have been a poor decision, but I didn't really know what it was worth. And it could have had a bent neck or worst. I'm feeling a little blue... I was looking forward to putting on new strings and a sweet sound (even having to change out the head stock). So the search begins a new.
When it gets here i'll let you know what it sounds like.... JK, shame isn't when you see something like that and miss out. Sometimes its due to bidders not really knowing how an online auction works and they bid way too early or bid too high straight away, frustration springs to mind!

Never mind there will be plenty more where that one came from just need to keep looking.

michelew

Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:32 am

Tell me how it goes. Of course I want to hear that it was a piece of crap and sounds terrible. Yes - I put my bid in during the last 4 minutes (I was in the movies) - should have waited - I need to get the program that does it for you in the last 30s (whatever that's called).

quincy451

Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:45 am

Well, to answer your question about the string buttons. I don't think they will harm the guitar top behind the bridge. Remmember string tension back there should be at it's highest point. So string movement past the bridge should be nill. But look at this link for the product I am talking about:
http://www.bridgebonebeads.com/index_fi ... iginal.htm
I actually got some metal rings about the right size at lowes when I was stringing my classical once. I wanted to create the affect of ball in folk nylon strings from whatever string I chose. But alas my tying skills or lack there of made it a aborted effort. I think this product would do that. Not sure exactly how you tie the string into the product. But it looks like you do enough of that to cancel out any pull in one direction or another.

I also like the fret dots shown in this site. For I don't know about you. But I like having my dots. A hold over from starting with a steel string guitar. I resolved that problem easily and satisfactorily with my current classical guitar by using a fret glow product that basically amounts to very over priced precut reflective stickers. The idea is they want the dots to show up in the dark. I have no use for that. So I just ignored that aspect and the blue light they sent for charging up the dots so they would light up.

I also like pick guards, but I have not done anything with that. I did find some nice pick guard products but I have not tried any of them yet.

michelew

Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:29 am

Thanks for the info David. Looks like there a good reasons to consider using them.

quincy451

Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:03 pm

michelew wrote:
Thanks for the info David. Looks like there a good reasons to consider using them.
Well, you have inspired me to buy this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/195-Classical-Guita ... 2050wt_925

Could be nice...could be junk. I will let you know how it goes.
About the only reservation I have, is I have no idea who made this
guitar.

michelew

Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Looks very nice. Good luck. I hope you can score it for a good price.

BTW - I was second again in bidding on another Yamaha G60. However, the seller only posted 2 very low definition image and wasn't prepared to post more than one additional fuzzy picture (of the bridge). From the new image I could see it had wear (somewhat deep finger nail grooves) that he hadn't declared. It would have been fine if he had declared the wear and tear and shown it, which is best practice. Then you can make an informed decision about how much it is worth to you and reduce the possibility of nasty shocks down the track. As he wasn't prepared to give me more and better images I decided not to go too high. The good thing is that I don't feel like I missed out this time. SO still hunting, but enjoying the processes.

If you get it I'd love to hear how it sounds too. GOod luck.

quincy451

Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:13 pm

Finger nail groves. I know your always told to clip your left hand down low for playing guitar so you don't get those. I have done this off and on. I find it hard to play with long mails so I usually get on it. But then I am not a stickler about it. I have not seen any of these on any instrument I have had. So in my book that would be a sign of much use than I would put the guitar through. Now use on a used instrument is not bad. Abuse is bad.

Now stewmac.com makes products for staining fretboards, as well as touching up the body of a guitar. Just want to avoid having to refinish the entire body of the guitar. I looked into that once for kicks, I mean who wouldn't want to change the color on there guitar once a while and make it more flashy, and best I could come up with, was it would cost me $150 or so just for the lacquer paints.

Good luck in your search.
David

michelew

Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:16 pm

I may have explained it badly. The finger nail grooves were near the bridge under the strings. They were from the right hand. Not really sure how you'd get them there with the strings on the guitar. It doesn't matter now anyway since I didn't buy it.

By the way - I'd be asking the seller for more information about the make and model of the guitar that you're interested in. That way you can look at other people's reviews. I've found the link that Chas gave me to be very useful for that. Here it is again:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... tic+Guitar

You just insert the make and model number and it returns any reviews for that combo. Brilliant!

I find that most people on eBay are happy to give you more info. If the seller is not, that's not a good sign.

Good luck.

quincy451

Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:36 pm

Thanks for the harmony link. I have used them many times to form opinions on guitars.

I generally do a google search for the make and model and then do a youtube search as well. Nice to hear something played if you can find it.

Circumstances on ebay are a little different between the actions you have participated in and this one.

1) you have a seller with one instrument looking to get as much as possible but knowing they might be selling something that does not bring much.

2) I have a seller who really isn't interested in the action aspect of things. They want to sell something for x and that is what you are going to pay. They are just using ebay as the webstore host. And there buy it now price is not that good. I can get this guitar at two websites for the buy it now price on ebay and they include shipping in that price. A benefit of looking at a new instrument.

But I did ask on ebay the make and model question. Personally I think all 3 sources go back to about the same place. All sources offer a 30 day return policy which is nice.

Well, I am off to google the two websites that list this guitar for sale.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic