Saddles - best material - bone, tusq, plastic ....

goldleaf

Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:54 pm

Michele, glad to hear your saddle change out worked so well. I think the biggest change is from "plastic" to anything: tusq, bone etc. When you get around to doing some more experimenting with pins and maybe a bone saddle I would be interested to know the difference from tusq to say bone or walrus saddle. Also you mentioned a couple types of materials for pins, are you considering using different pins on different strings? You mentioned about being spot on about turning the saddle during the sanding process, did you notice that one side was getting lower than the other, requiring you to turn the saddle periodically? I'm assuming that is what you are referring to but I just wanted to clarify. Glad the capo trick helped, it sure saves a lot of time & effort, especially if you are going to have multiple attempts so you don't sand off too much!! Good for you, it is nice to feel you have a little control re: adjusting your guitar. And you are right, for a very small investment you can really make a significant improvement in your guitar's sound, I was pleasantly surprised, sounds like you were too. Good on you for going for it. Gary

michelew

Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:55 am

Gary,

I just upped your karma for the capo advice and the advice to avoid sanding one end more than the other (yes the piece of advice that I was referring to was the one that you redescribed in your last post).

Just to clarify, I added tusq pins too. But, yes bone, walrus tusk and different sorts of pins materials all sound interesting too.

Regarding the two different types of pins:
wilson951 wrote:
Don't forget about the nut and the pins. The saddle will make the most difference. But I've read about folks using different bridge pins for the top 3 and bottom 3 strings to get EXACTLY the sound they want. Combinations of ebony and (black) horn, I think.
Sounds like a good experiment.

But for now, I'm just enjoying the new sound and set up of my trusty Yamaha. It will take a little bit of time for my fingers to adjust to the new action and who knows I may decide to lower it a little again. It'll be funny if I end up back to the action that I started with. But, who cares, I've had a chance to experience different actions, I've enjoyed the process and I'm loving the new sounds.

I must admit thought, given the success I've just had, I think I'd enjoy getting an old really cheap guitar with good bones (eBay again) and overhauling it. I'm sure there's a heap more to learn. ..hmmmmmm...

AndyT

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:41 pm

I'm glad you like your new saddle, but it's important to realize that "best" is in the ear of the beholder. For instance, maple guitars tend to be bright, if you like the feel and sound of bronze strings then you'll be even brighter, if you change from plastic to tusq, well that may just set your fillings vibrating. A guitar is the sum of it's parts, so finding the right balance is important.

But when it comes right down to it, remember, the magic is in your fingers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic