ToneRite: perfect product or complete B.S.?

BigBear

Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:23 pm

My Larrivee has a beautiful Englemann spruce top. I've told this story before on this forum but the short version is I custom ordered the guitar with a wider neck for my big hands. Got the guitar, absolutely beautiful but sounded like crap. I was heartbroken but I couldn't send it back because it was custom ordered.

I kept playing it and after about 6 months it started to sound a little better. Then everytime I pulled it out it was noticeably better. Now it sounds stunning. I wish my playing sounded a fraction as good as the guitar does!

I have a theory about seasoning guitars that could be utter malarkey but here it is. Guitars are made from several types of wood and even different glues. Until the guitar has had a chance for all the materials to equalize, ie. achieve their ultimate moisture content, the guitar will continue to age. Over time these changes become smaller and smaller and basically disappear at equalibrium. Playing the guitar causes vibration which accelerates the process.

Personally, I wouldn't spend 10 cents on anything to make the guitar age faster. Caveat emptor! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic