Protecting your guitar through the winter months

jayswett

Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:50 am

I have owned a guitar for many years, and have been only vaguely aware of the need to protect one's guitar from the dry indoor heat during the winter months. Simple question: During the winter, how critical is it to keep your guitar in a case when not using it, and is a humidifier really necessary? Thanks in advance to my more knowledgable friends and fellow students.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:56 am

We need a humidifier here in winter Jay just for us, I'm sure it's really helping my 2 Takamines too!! Wood is a "live" material. I have seen a guitar split because of being in ultra dry winter indoor conditions.

suziko

Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:16 pm

I use a sound-hole humidifier and keep my guitar in its case, just to be on the safe side. We have forced-air heat in our place which runs practically from November to May. It gets crazy dry in our house, so it makes sense that a wood guitar could dry out if left out all winter. My humidifier was not expensive ($20).

Catman

Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:18 pm

I live in Israel -- we don't have a winter...problem solved! :)

neverfoundthetime

Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:22 pm

I live in Israel -- we don't have a winter...problem solved!
Dave, you're just winding us up! ;-) Glad YOU have sunshine ;-)

Yamaha48

Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:34 pm

Hallo Jay.
For the two years i play guitar,i have them in a case.
This is for me the first time that my Yamaha guitar is not in his case.
I can pick it up when i will play.
But when i pick up my normal live,she is then in site her case,

Greetz Anton :laugh:

AndyT

Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:07 pm

We have winter here in Hawaii. They don't get too dry though. Just the other way around actually. I have to protect my guitar from too much water.

BigBear

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Once wood has dried out it's cell structure is basically closed. But guitars made in an area of high moisture content then moved to a dry area may continue to dry out slightly.

Since most guitar woods are sawn with a internal moisture content of less than 10%, it is pretty tought to dry them out much more. Conversely, wood that has fully dried won't absorb much moisture either. You can submerge a piece kiln dried lumber for months in a water and the moisture content will change only slightly.

I think where the problem arises is when the woods used in a guitar are different, like the bracing wood or the top and back and have different moisture contents. If they dry differently there might be movement which could lead to problems.

I think in-guitar humidification isn't really necessary but it could help a newer guitar reach equilization at a more controlled rate.

:cheer:

Chasplaya

Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:35 pm

BigBear wrote:
Once wood has dried out it's cell structure is basically closed. But guitars made in an area of high moisture content then moved to a dry area may continue to dry out slightly.

Since most guitar woods are sawn with a internal moisture content of less than 10%, it is pretty tought to dry them out much more. Conversely, wood that has fully dried won't absorb much moisture either. You can submerge a piece kiln dried lumber for months in a water and the moisture content will change only slightly.

I think where the problem arises is when the woods used in a guitar are different, like the bracing wood or the top and back and have different moisture contents. If they dry differently there might be movement which could lead to problems.

I think in-guitar humidification isn't really necessary but it could help a newer guitar reach equilization at a more controlled rate.

:cheer:
You know Bear that actually made perfect sense to me, engineering geek talk is usually including cos and sine and angles and all sorts x= y stuff but that actually made sense. I have never taken any particular steps for protecting my guitars, but I have been dropping hints for an psychrometer or hygrometer for xmas, you get them with mini household weather stations, more for interest sake than need.

BigBear

Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:39 pm

Chas- I have heard you can also just fill up your guitar with water and that will keep it moist. It's harder to play when full but humidity isn't much of a problem!! :silly:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic