Long Term storage

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:36 am

Different enough than the discussion re: protecting a guitar through the winter months that I thought I'd start a new thread.

I have a nice Larrivee that (living in arid Colorado) i keep humidified all the time as directed by my LGS (local Guitar shop :) ). However, I'm about to go on an extended trip, and I can't take my guitar with me. What are my best options for long term storage?

The thoughts that come to mind:
1) Loan to a (really trustworthy) friend to play and take care of while I'm away. Takers? ;)
2) Ask a friend/family to store, but keep humidified
3) Load up the humidifier, wrap in a plastic bag, and store, hoping for the best
4) Just store in a still quite dry but somewhat more humid basement, let it gradually 'acclimate' to the dry climate in its case, and hope for the best

Any advice / ideas / resources appreciated.

BigBear

Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:32 am

I would opt for keeping it as close to it's current condition as you can. Wood doesn't like change very much. So if you humidify now, keep doing it (and have someone add water as needed).

I definately would not put it in anything plastic. Wood needs air to breath and remain stable. Others may disagree but I think plastic around guitars is a very bad idea.

By the way, which Larrivee do you have? I absolutely love mine and it's become my favorite guitar. I've got a custom L-10e with the Robin Hood headstock and a 1-7/8" neck. You can see a picture of it under my profile. Larrivee is very similar to Taylor except Taylor now uses a bolt-on neck and Larrivee's are still dovetailed. But they both have great necks.

Good luck with your guitar. It should be fine!

Cheers! :cheer:

AndyT

Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:45 am

Unless you are talking about 6 months or more, I'd just keep it where you normally do.

jayswett

Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:47 am

Another question about long term storage: should the strings be removed, loosened, or simply left alone?

AndyT

Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:54 am

You can tune it down half a step.
Think for a moment about how many guitars hang in stores for months on end. No problem.

Chasplaya

Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:38 am

The surest way to keep your guitar in good shape is to remember this simple rule: Do not expose the guitar to any climate conditions that you would not want to be exposed to. If you always keep this in mind, then your instrument will likely last years and years. As for strings various thoughts are out there, tune it down take them off, keep it in tune. Me I believe if its really long storage relieve the stress take them off.

reiver

Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:21 am

.....a Larrivee eh.

Don't listen to these guys, they don't know what they're talking about.

You have to send the guitar to me to look after, it's the only logical solution. Winter in the UK will prevent any possible drying out and I wont even charge you for storage!

(Offer open to others....)

r

RicksPick

Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:58 am

Hi
My thoughts are

How many years do our guitars stay strung and tuned with the exception of 30mins for a string change, when there is no pressure ( depending weather u change all or 1 at a time), conclusion, it makes no difference whilst the environment is stable, I would guess if exposed to rapid or excessive change then that could have 2 different effects( strung or unstrung) on how guitars contract and expand.
I have a guitar that has been strung and tuned for over 10 years, wish i could say I played it for that long but there was times when I didn't for 6mnths to a year, this is a $80 guitar in stable environmental conditions

But what do I know???? lol :S

RicksPick

dennisg

Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:36 am

fjvdb,

I think loaning the guitar to a friend is probably the worst option. No offense to your friend, who I'm sure is a prince of a guy. Anyway, I tried that option, and my guitar came back with a big dent in it from the buckle on the strap.

I mentioned the HumidPak in the other thread. It's a good option because 1) you don't have to re-wet it -- it provides humidity for months without water; 2) it changes humidity (up or down) gradually, not cataclysmically; and 3) it keeps the humidity in the desired 45 to 49 percent range.

Bob Taylor likes it. That's good enough for me.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

Chasplaya

Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:13 pm

Thanks everyone for all of the good advice. I'm definitely leaning towards the HumidPak + family member rehumidifying every couple months. I could be gone for as long as a year+, so this is real long term storage. Obviously, if I find myself in a place long enough, I'll either fly back to get it or have it shipped to me (yikes!).

Bear, this is an 03R-OM. We discussed a bit a few months back, but anyway its very simple in its appointments, but has all of the same construction methods as their highest end guitars. You can see it in my avatar, front and center. I love the sound -- warm, rich, and balanced -- and I've admired the photos you have posted of yours. It is, to say the least, exquisite.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic