Superb K&K Pickup

BigBear

Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:43 pm

I just got my Taylor 855 12-string back from my favorite repair shop, Portland Fretworks, and I had a K&K Pure mini pickup installed. Just incredible sound! It picked up the big, full sound of my jumbo perfectly. Crystal clear highs and deep bass response.

I first heard of K&K after complimenting Eric Tingstad, of Tingstad and & Rumpel fame, on his setup and sound at a small concert. He told me he was sold on K&K and so I did my homework and read every review I could find. Everything was positive. They are a small company in a little fishing and logging village on the southern Oregon coast (Coos Bay).

If you aren't familiar with K&K pickups, they use small round tranducers (I assume) that simply glue to the underside of your bridge plate so they can be easily removed if you ever sell the guitar and want to keep the pickup. They are not undersaddle piezos and so they aren't prone to problems of piezos. The pickups are passive and do not come with a pre-amp or need a battery but I plugged it in to my small Roland amp and it sounded great, no ajustments needed.

If you are looking to electrify your acoustic you would be well served to check out these guys. The pickup runs about $125 depending on model and it cost me $70 more to have it installed, $195 total.

Just wanted to share a wondeful product with the group! Cheers! :cheer:

dennisg

Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:32 pm

Congrats, Bear! I'll bet that guitar sounds absolutely awesome. I just played a Taylor 855 in my local store, and the sound just blew me away. I can only imagine what it'll do amplified.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

quincy451

Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:44 pm

K&K is my pickup of choice. I am totally sold on it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic