New Strat...

KennyF

Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:54 am

Well... Even though I've always been a Gibson kind of guy, and more specifically, a Les Paul player, I've always had an uncontrollable desire to have a Strat in the fold. I've own a few American Standard Strats over the years, but they never seemed to "do it" for me.

At any rate, I sold my American Standard a few weeks ago, which left a void in the Fender realm. Then... While I was in my local music shop buying strings, I stumbled upon this little gem. It was a life altering experience for me. At least as it relates to Stratocasters.

It's an American Vintage '57 Reissue, white blonde, ash body.

Looks okay in the group picture as well.

AndyT

Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:13 am

Nice. How does it sound and play?

KennyF

Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:36 am

Andy,

It sounds great, right off the rack. Nice chimey cleans in the bridge position, silky smooth in the neck position. Sounds killer with a tad of overdrive and a little delay as well. Very expressive instrument.

The neck is a chunky 50's "V" shape, which suits me much better than the skinny modern "C".

I'll bet that I have more hours of play time on this one in the two weeks that I've owned it, than I had on the other one in five years. :laugh:

jayswett

Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:02 am

Let me preface this question by stating what will soon be very obvious: I know little to nothing about electric guitars. The question is this: are there any electric guitars that are good for fingerpicking? My sense is that electric guitars are mostly designed for picks. In your photo above, that guitar second from right looks very cool, and I wonder if that is something that would be amenable to fingerstyle.

KennyF

Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:20 am

jayswett wrote:
Let me preface this question by stating what will soon be very obvious: I know little to nothing about electric guitars. The question is this: are there any electric guitars that are good for fingerpicking? My sense is that electric guitars are mostly designed for picks. In your photo above, that guitar second from right looks very cool, and I wonder if that is something that would be amenable to fingerstyle.
You can, and should be able to fingerpick any guitar. It's actually a very important and often overlooked skill on electrics. Especially when playing electric slide.

In fact, you need fingerpicking skills even when you play with a pick.

Music Junkie

Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:04 am

kennyf wrote:
jayswett wrote:
In your photo above, that guitar second from right looks very cool, and I wonder if that is something that would be amenable to fingerstyle.
You can, and should be able to fingerpick any guitar. It's actually a very important and often overlooked skill on electrics. Especially when playing electric slide.

In fact, you need fingerpicking skills even when you play with a pick.
Kenny:

Nice add to your collection! Every player should have both Fender and Gibson.....lol. As Jay pointed out, your hollow body shown above is very sweet. I have been looking at them for quite some time. Gibson really has some great hollow bodies. What model is yours, and how do you like it???? I have looked at Gretsch as well, but really like the looks and feel of the Gibsons better.

Anyway, congrats on the new addition and, now that we have an electric side here, I look forward to hearing more about in the days to come.

MJ

BigBear

Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:36 pm

Kenny- Nice addition! Like you, I love my Les Paul but I've always wanted a candy-apple red Strat. I think watching Hank Marvin did it for me! Maybe someday.

You've got some beautiful Les Paul's. Can you describe them a little bit?

You're answer to Jay was right on but you could add that there are some techniques that are harder to pull off on an electric, particularly anything percussive. Conversely, things like full bends are really tough on acoustics, unless you have really light strings. Guys like Lindsey Buckingham and Mark Knofler are really good electric ginger pickers.

Cheers! :cheer:

KennyF

Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Kenny:

Nice add to your collection! Every player should have both Fender and Gibson.....lol. As Jay pointed out, your hollow body shown above is very sweet. I have been looking at them for quite some time. Gibson really has some great hollow bodies. What model is yours, and how do you like it???? I have looked at Gretsch as well, but really like the looks and feel of the Gibsons better.

Anyway, congrats on the new addition and, now that we have an electric side here, I look forward to hearing more about in the days to come.

MJ
Thanks MJ,

The semi-hollow is a Gibson ES-339. It's a newer model based on the ES-335 with a slightly smaller body. In fact, from a construction standpoint, they are identical to the ES-335. That one has a fat 50's style neck, but they also make them with a 60's slim taper. It comes standard with a vintage style ABR-1 bridge, vintage style Kluson tuners and '57 classic Humbucker pickups, which are a perfect match for that guitar.

That particular guitar is from the first, introductory run, and it's absolutely gorgeous in every respect. It plays like butter, has tone to die for and is truly a downright pleasure to play.

I'm always reluctant to make guitar recommendations, because I honestly believe that what works for one, may not work for another, but you really should put the ES-339 on the list of instruments to audition.

KennyF

Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:36 pm

BigBear wrote:
Kenny- Nice addition! Like you, I love my Les Paul but I've always wanted a candy-apple red Strat. I think watching Hank Marvin did it for me! Maybe someday.

You've got some beautiful Les Paul's. Can you describe them a little bit?

You're answer to Jay was right on but you could add that there are some techniques that are harder to pull off on an electric, particularly anything percussive. Conversely, things like full bends are really tough on acoustics, unless you have really light strings. Guys like Lindsey Buckingham and Mark Knofler are really good electric ginger pickers.

Cheers! :cheer:
Hey brother... What's up?

The Goldtop (far left) is a Historic 1954 Reissue, with a big 'ole 50's style neck and P-90 single coils. That's my "Number Axe", bro. It does everything from chimey cleans, to burnin' the paint off the walls and everything in between. I've never owned, nor played a better Les Paul, EVER!!! When I die, that one goes in the pine box with me.

The Cherry Burst Les Paul is a Historic 1958 Reissue, with a big 'ole 50's style neck and '57 Classic Humbuckers. That one was hand selected from the Custom Shop "Artists Stock" at Gibson. It's absolutely incredible.

I suppose that I should clarify my statement on "fingerpicking an electric".

If the goal is to replicate "the feel" of an acoustic, then one of the jazz boxes like a Gibson L-4 or an ES-175, or equivalent, would be the best choices.

If we're talking about sound? Any guitar with an appropriate transducer and a processor would get you close, BUT there is no replacement for a fine quality acoustic, in terms of sound. In my humble opinion.

Chasplaya

Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:17 pm

NIce collection, the Strat looks way too cool :) I own a Epiphone Riviera Elite 6string a 95 reissue, which is becoming a rarity. Epi have reissued this guitar twice now original came out in the 70's then mine in the 90's and most recently aroung 07 I beleive. It has a very skinny neck minihumbuckers! But it has an incredible sound I'd love a Marshall tube set up to play it through but for now I have a Fender Princeton 65 which has to do. I'd really like a Strat one day but it has to be a 'Blackie' one of the top end Custom shop ones though not a Signature series mass produced ones.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic