Posting non-lesson songs: pro and con

Catman

Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:51 pm

To the original question, I am most decidedly pro.

Music Junkie

Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:56 pm

Dennis:

I think posting non-Target songs is what we should do. Let's use the tools that Neil has given us! I know that the things I have learned on this site have vastly improved the number of songs I can play (both Target and non-Target). In fact, I posted a transcription that I did myself. I would not have been able to do it without the knowledge I have gained at this site. I would love to see more non-Target songs being posted. Either as a video or as a "Student Lesson". I have a few others I have been working on and would like to get them to a point that I can post them as well. There is soooo Much good music out there that just about anything you post is bound to be appreciated by someone else on this site. Al's clip on "She Talks to Angels" was great, and he got some good feedback on that. Others that have posted are getting positive feedback as well. This gift we are being given is meant to be used.....

My two cents....

:)

MJ

michelew

Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:56 pm

I'm for it. I've learned lots from the posts (especially the ones that Neil replied to). I assume I will continue to regardless of whether Neil is teaching them (they are TG songs) or not. I assume that Neil is not going to comment on all videos - so he can decide whether there is value for lots of people in commenting on a non-TG song. It's likely to be dependent on the song and the performance.

It will give us examples of other songs that we might care to learn too.

tovo

Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:19 pm

I think it's a good idea to post non-target songs, don't have a problem with it at all. I support the idea of a thread specifically for non-target songs, that makes it very easy to know where to go to check out stuff that is outside of the target program but still very cool to see and learn from.

AndyT

Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:29 pm

My video was a non-target song. I think I was the first to post a non-target song because I was quite worried about doing it. Since it was not an official lesson. But it's all worked out exceptionally well.

So of course, I say, yes, post your song.

rcsnydley

Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:47 pm

This is a guitar site and as such should promote guitar playing. So, all guitar playing videos TARGET or not should be posted. The separate categories idea is a good one though.

TGMatt

Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:03 pm

I am more than happy for you to upload any tunes you like and occasionally Neil will comment on those from time time , we won't be creating a new category fir quite a number of reasons , but you can easily find lessons and tunes within this channel with the YouTube search and filter functions .. so post away all .. looking forward to seeing some ..

I also have a new feature I'm bringing this week which is a kind of suprise but I will say that it fits in a little with this so stay tuned ...

cheers

goldleaf

Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:39 am

I think I benefit from videos, both TG and non TG. From all the non TG videos I've seen I think it is a good thing and at this point I see no reason for restricting videos to TG only. I think the more creative we can be the better IMHO. Gary

Chasplaya

Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:47 pm

As someone said guitar playing is guitar playing, if you have bad habits in TARGET you'll have them on Non TARGET. I do like the concept of Open Mic Category, but this is where you could get definite Copyrite problems as they depart from the programme offered. So i'm guessing this maybe why there won't be a separate Category.

However, Non TARGET songs do have value as you can use them to show how you have learned various techniques/concepts as taught on the site, it may pay to point out exactly what we are meant to be looking for in a brief narrative, i'e the fingerpicking tech in a TARGET song enabled me to play this one... Or we could post Non TARGET and ask for help over a specific part, keeping it blatantly educational but subliminally entertaining lol!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic