Posting non-lesson songs: pro and con

dennisg

Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:59 am

There are a few songs I really like that I've been considering learning, and they're not yet available as lessons. So I thought I'd ask: do you nice folks think there's value in posting and/or watching videos of non-lesson songs? Or should we stick to the program?

Your thoughts?

- Dennis (in Seattle)

reiver

Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:09 am

I think that non-lesson songs are a useful means of broadening our musical horizons. As excellent as this site is - there is a limit to the number of songs that Neil can arrange and post for us, and there are o lot of songs out there......

Perhaps there should be a Lesson and non-Lesson category to post to, then the viewer can make the choice.

r

neverfoundthetime

Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:23 am

Great question Dennis!
I posed this question when I posted a couple of songs not in TARGET including my own song and the general response was an enthusiastic YES, post your non TARGET songs too! As Reiver points out it broadens our options and enriches the content we are looking at. I consider the Target Students Review to be a group of members which reviews and gives other members feedback on their play (whatever it is they feel confident enough to post) so not necessarily limited to TARGET songs. Of course, when posting a TARGET song we all have the lesson to use as the standard to judge and give feedback by but if it's only TARGET songs being posted it narrows things down a lot and will close some doors. As far as my experience of Neil's teaching goes, it's an open door policy.
What say you folks?

suziko

Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:46 am

I see no harm in people posting non-lesson songs. In fact, I've really enjoyed the ones posted recently (specifically thinking of Al's She Talks to Angels and Reiver's The Rose). Separating them out, as Reiver suggested above, into Lesson and Non-Lesson categories might be useful.

haoli25

Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:47 am

Many of the songs that have been added to the TARGET program have been by member suggestion. If someone posts a video of a non-TARGET song and many other members decide they would like to learn the song too, it would seem that would put it on the short list into the TARGET program. I enjoy watching both the TARGET and non-TARGET videos. If it is decided to put them in seperate categories, I'm okay with that.

Bill

Lavallee

Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:10 am

I very much like this idea as well as long as long as the non lessons post does not become more important than the lessons, which would turn out more frustrating for TG. As Bill mentioned, it would bring some interest for songs that are not selected for Target yet and could move them up the list. It would help with the interactivity of the site. Suggesting a song with a video would show a higher interest for the song than just a name in the song suggestion thread.

Marc

wrench

Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:20 am

Dennis,

A terrific question, and one that I have thought about at some length.

TARGET lessons are developed for the tools they require us to use. Neil told us from day one that what we learn in his lessons will carry through to many other pieces. And as the discussion on music theory unfolded here, we also hear Neil encouraging us to figure things out, It is only a natural, therefore, that we explore other music, applying our TG skills and knowledge.

I support two venues for TG videos. The TARGET lesson videos provide a means to gauge our progress as students against a fixed standard. This is a venue of peer criticism, and TG staff input. But I also envision a freestyle venue for our arrangements of other songs and original compositions. Isn't this where Neil is taking us anyway? A freestyle venue is something I can really get excited about because we as students can really put ourselves out there, both as performers and critics. If I am going to get criticized, I can't think of a more constructive group than TARGET members. Because of the subjective nature and lack of benchmark material, I don't see this as a place for too much TG staff input, but I think this will generate a groundswell of member participation.

wrench

BigBear

Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:51 am

The other point to consider, and the reason two categories makes sense, is the main reason we post videos is to solicit Neil's feedback, not just each others. Neil has been swamped lately and hasn't replied to many but I suspect he will back at it soon.

So maybe another way to look at it is by posting TARGET songs we are requesting feedabck from Neil. Non-TARGET songs are just for fun and feedback from each other.

Cheers! :cheer:

AcousticAl

Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:31 pm

Interesting topic.

I have uploaded both TARGET and non-TARGET songs. I see value in being able to upload both to TG. Perhaps 2 different categories would make it easier to sift through them, although it is manageable the way it is now.

I don't think we should limit ourselves to only posting TARGET material. As Neil says in the TARGET ads (paraphrasing)- The point is to take what we learn and apply it to literally hundreds of songs.
Great case in point with Reiver's excellent version of 'The Rose'.

I also don't see why Neil (or others for that matter) wouldn't be able to comment on techniques or issues he sees with us playing non-TARGET songs.

__m__

Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:36 pm

BigBear wrote:
The other point to consider, and the reason two categories makes sense, is the main reason we post videos is to solicit Neil's feedback, not just each others. Neil has been swamped lately and hasn't replied to many but I suspect he will back at it soon.

So maybe another way to look at it is by posting TARGET songs we are requesting feedabck from Neil. Non-TARGET songs are just for fun and feedback from each other.

Cheers! :cheer:

I agree with this, and I agree with Al. It seems to me that there are few specifics between any songs that would prevent anyone from being able to critique technique. Guitar playing is guitar playing no matter what the song you are trying to perform. My thing would be expectations. Just make sure your posting them for the same reason one is posting the Target songs. I don't see any problem posting non-Target songs, and like I said, there really isn't anything different to critique as far as technique goes between the two. For example, if someone plays a Target song with bad posture, he or she will play non-Target songs with bad posture as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic