Kudos to this online retailer

dennisg

Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:40 pm

Nothing to apologize for, Wiley. We're cool.

I'm a bit of a research freak myself. Unless a company's ownership has some objectionable (to me) political or social agenda (think Nazis, cigarette companies, and some others I won't mention out of fear I'd start a firestorm), I don't really care who they are or how much money they make.

And I'll make this as plain as can be: I'm not a huge fan of Guitar Center. They often hire snotty, apathetic children to provide what passes for "customer service" to adults in this modern era we live in. But there's no getting around the fact that they carry a huge amount of products you just can't get from other retailers. And they happened to have a pristine used Taylor 614ce the day I walked in to see the store for the first time. Although the guitar is cosmetically indistinguishable from a brand-new one, I was able to get it for over a thousand dollars less than I could have bought a new one for from my preferred local guitar shop. Fortunately, I didn't really need a Guitar Center salesperson's advice or help, except to take my money. I have nothing at all against them, but they are my "local" store of last resort. Without Guitar Center, I wouldn't have my Taylor. So, for that I'm grateful to them for at least making it available to me at a price I could afford.

I never begrudge a business (local or online) the right to make money. But if they want it from me, they have to earn it by carrying quality products, then standing behind those products when they don't behave as advertised. That applies to Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, my favorite local guitar shop, and TG.com. And I'm sure Matt would be the first to understand why subscribers (who felt the quality of the products and service was slipping) might depart.

I certainly don't mean for this to come off sounding like a rant. It's not. I just want to throw my hard-earned dollars at companies who provide value (not to be confused with merely low prices). Musician's Friend provided a type of value I appreciate: they took the one negative aspect (returning a faulty product) out of buying online. I admire that. And the next time I'm unable to buy locally, they'll likely get my business. They earned it.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

Music Junkie

Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:52 pm

as per experience, guitars of the same model differ as much as women. You need to play the guitar (several) of the same model. They ALL feel and sound slightly different. Fit and finish also varies greatly. Buying a guitar online is a crap shoot at best. Do youslf and your wallet a big favor and play the guitar before you buy, not after it arrives in a box and needs a set up after the delivery guys bang it around for 3-4 days in route.

PG ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic