Kudos to this online retailer

dennisg

Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:22 am

It's not my intention to divert eyes away from TG or any of its resources. But every now and then a retailer comes through in such an unexpected way, it's worth mentioning.

Last week I ordered a small Behringer acoustic amp and an instrument cable from an online retailer called Musician's Friend (I won't provide the link, since Matt may consider that crossing the line; but you can Google it after you're done with today's TG lesson). When I set up the amp and cable, I noticed a distinct hum that would disappear whenever I touched the metal jacket on the cable's plug. The thought of having to return something I'd bought online wasn't particularly appealing, but I called Musician's Friend anyway, and the customer service guy surprised me by telling me he'd send out a new cable, and I wouldn't even have to return my old one.

Here in Seattle, we're used to customer-first service from companies like Nordstrom and Starbucks. But you usually get hosed from online retailers. That wasn't the case with Musician's Friend. For the price of a cable, they made a customer for life, and they deserve some recognition. So, kudos to you, Musician's Friend, for going out of your way to take care of a customer.

It has been suggested by another TG-er that Musician's Friend is the kind of retailer that would make a great advertiser on this site, and I completely agree.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

cabro

Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:03 am

I've been a customer of theirs for years. Never had any problems with them. They are also a good bargaining chip when buying locally. I mentioned when I bought my Martin that MF had the same instrument for the same price and my local store cut $50.00 of the price plus threw in a few extra goodies so I wouldn't give my business to MF. :)

BigBear

Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:19 pm

I'm a big fan of Musician's Friend and other on-line retailers. And Dennis' customer service story is noteworthy in these days of dwindling service in general.

Following up on Chris' comment I think we should all be mindful however that we need to continue to support traditional "brick and mortar" retailers, too. Small music stores can't compete with the large on-line stores and are closing at an alarming rate. If they all close, where are we going to go to audition our new Taylor guitars? :laugh:

I've tried hard not to fall into the trap of using a local retailer to audition a piece of equipment and then buy it on line from somewhere else. If I take their time and resources I try to give them my business.

Just a thought. Sorry to hijack your thread Dennis! :cheer:

jayswett

Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:58 am

I tend to agree with Bear on this. I fear for my local guitar shop in this current economic climate, and I would gladly pay a bit more for a product in order to help keep him afloat during these tough times. Of course, his customer service, not unlike the MF website, is great, which allows me to justify paying more for something that I'm sure I could get more inexpensively online. Sadly, though, I expect that over the years local music shops will find it more and more difficult to compete with larger chain stores and the web.

Music Junkie

Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:13 am

Ditto:

I have purchased two things from MF and had good experiences both times. That being said, I prefer to walk into a store and hold something and look it over to make sure it is what I want. Also, usually the small local stores have at least one or two folks that actually know something about the product. If you have any questions, you can usually get your answers right then and there. Hard to beat the prices of online stuff sometimes though......If I take the time to go in and ask someone though, I will probably buy it there as they are the ones that helped me out.

MJ

Chasplaya

Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:53 pm

Ditto again ... I have only ever had good experience online, maybe lucky. BUt as for local trader vs online, a lot of the online guys started as locals. This is maybe the way to go for a few of the locals that have yet to take the plunge. BUt again you can't beat the face to face discussion with someone who really knows. Maybe a future evolution of online is vidcam chats with the retailers

wiley

Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:03 pm

dennisg

Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:07 pm

When I posted the kudo to Musician's Friend, I wasn't really intending to advocate one position or another regarding buying online. But since the issue has been raised, I'll just say this: I always buy locally -- except when either of two conditions applies: 1) the price difference is insanely heinous; or 2) I can't get what I want locally. In my case, none of my local guitar stores carried the little Behringer amp I wanted. Since Musician's Friend did, I bought it from them -- along with a cable. When I discovered the cable was faulty, I was immediately sorry I'd bought online. But MF made the make-good process painless and simple. Whoever owns them, however rich they are, whoever is profiting from my purchase, MF at least deserves praise for handling the situation in a way that minimized the hassle for me.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

goldleaf

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:41 pm

I have bought a guitar and an amp from MF and I wasn't really satisfied with my purchase. They exchanged the equipment with no problems. I have bought from them for several years and they do have good consumer service and price. They will also make a deal over the phone, I have asked if they have any discount program for the amp (or whatever)I am interested in, and they have always lowered their price another 10%. I also buy from by local music store, but as Dennis mentioned sometimes my little music store doesn't carry the item or less often the price is too much of a difference, although they try to match online prices if possible. Gary

wiley

Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:48 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic