ACOUSTIC GEAR: AMPLIFIERS

Chasplaya

Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:30 pm

wrench

Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:31 pm

Chris, I think you just stuck your toes in the ocean, my friend. Selecting a guitar is hard enough, but selecting from the electronics available is an overwhelming task.

The one thing I will emphasize that others said here is to get an amp that is designed for acoustics. It's a really tough call on the mix of effects and features on the amp and your effects accessories. It is real easy to over or under equip yourself here. If you have your heart set on a Boss Micro BR, you can forego a lot of the features on an amp. At that point, you can concentrate on the how much power you need, and whether the amp has multiple inputs. Watch out for whether the amp has independent effects for each input.

I listened to a lot of amps, and the Rolands sound great. I've never heard anyone express a poor opinion of the Rolands. Fishmans sounded very good, too, but are feature heavy and pricey. To me, every acoustic amp made by a manufacturer known for its electric amps lacked the acoustic warmth Chas described. If you must buy an amp without hearing it first, I think Rolands offer a high probability of a good outcome.

Good luck
wrench

neverfoundthetime

Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Thanks Chas, thanks wrench very helpful. I'm getting the feeling I'm on the right track. Tried the Roland AC60 hooked up to a Takamine and a Lakewood so I can confirm it sounds great!
For those of you following my GAS, I've decided to amp up first and go for the guitar of my dreams later as I'm expecting that to be a once in a life time purchase. Need to psych up (and Cash up!) for that!

AndyT

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:27 pm

Chris, Its my understanding that the one I posted has all those goodies and it also has a headphone jack so the only thing anyone else will hear is the guitar and your singing. Sounds like a match made for us!

BigBear

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:34 pm

wrench wrote:
Chris, I think you just stuck your toes in the ocean, my friend. Selecting a guitar is hard enough, but selecting from the electronics available is an overwhelming task.

The one thing I will emphasize that others said here is to get an amp that is designed for acoustics. It's a really tough call on the mix of effects and features on the amp and your effects accessories. It is real easy to over or under equip yourself here. If you have your heart set on a Boss Micro BR, you can forego a lot of the features on an amp. At that point, you can concentrate on the how much power you need, and whether the amp has multiple inputs. Watch out for whether the amp has independent effects for each input.

I listened to a lot of amps, and the Rolands sound great. I've never heard anyone express a poor opinion of the Rolands. Fishmans sounded very good, too, but are feature heavy and pricey. To me, every acoustic amp made by a manufacturer known for its electric amps lacked the acoustic warmth Chas described. If you must buy an amp without hearing it first, I think Rolands offer a high probability of a good outcome.

Good luck
wrench

I don't think Rolands have the "acoustic warmth" you mention either but they are just amazing clean amps with a nice feature set. If you want warmth you may have to go to a tube amp which changes the whole buying puzzle again! :cheer:

AndyT

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:45 pm

My family always asks me what I want for Christmas. I never get it, but they always ask. So this year, I'm saving them the trouble. I posted the Roland amp on my facebook page. If a few of them go in together, they can afford it. Otherwise, I'll just wait till I can afford it. (as usual LOL).

Try that Chris and see if you get it sooner.

goldleaf

Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:56 pm

I ended up getting the Roland 30 Watt Cube. It has a lot of settings and has all the power I need plus it is not that heavy or big. Gary

I mostly use my 'Phonic PA" w/ 2 10" speaker cabinets and 6 XLR & 1/4" options on all 6.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=630486

Check out the above link. Gary

AndyT

Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:26 pm

Gary,
Its very similar to the street cube that I'm looking at. The main difference is that Street Cube also has a PA for a Mic built in, this one does not.

goldleaf

Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:07 am

AndyT wrote:
Gary,
Its very similar to the street cube that I'm looking at. The main difference is that Street Cube also has a PA for a Mic built in, this one does not.
You are right & that is one of the things I think is lacking, in part that is why I have the Phonic system, but it isn't very portable as the cube. I think the one you showed is a better choice, but I am satisfied with the 30W Cube, but it could use another line for a mic. Gary

AndyT

Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:24 am

That is a nice system, but I agree in that it does not look very portable.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic