ACOUSTIC GEAR: AMPLIFIERS

neverfoundthetime

Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:43 pm

Hi Folks. I'm looking at gear. Specifically an amplifier and effects for putting the acoustic guitar and singing through. Hope this is the right thread for it, please re-direct me if I missed something somewhere else. Been watching the Roland AC60 on Ebay for under $400 (but plus shipping). Here they are $720.00. Looks like the ideal gear for plugging in as you can put the singing mike and the acoustic through it. Not too big and heavy. Has chorus effects. Anyone have experience with this sort of gear and can point me the right way. You've heard me sing and play, so you have some idea of what may be useful. I've looked at the BOSS ROLAND MICRO BR too. Do I need both?. And what about recording stuff? Used to have a Fostex 4 track tape. I've heard computer programs mentioned here that may be good. I'm not a techie nor a gadgetman, just want best possible stuff for the a reasonable price. What say you?

AndyT

Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:51 pm

I'm also looking for an amp that handles my axe and a microphone at the same time for a reasonable price. (And reasonable size too!)

neverfoundthetime

Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:52 pm

I have the mike.... golden one, good sound... so I'm one step ahead on that....

Chasplaya

Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:54 pm

Its a bit like buying Guitars , try before you buy. I would recommend an Amp thats designed specifically for Acoustic though, as for effects, Boss Micro BR looks and sounds good. I used to play my Acoustic through my Fender Princeton 65 and it really lost the warm acoustic sound.

You need to take your own guitar to try through any Amp also, plus play the Amp totally clean first up, before trying some of the settings. My Acoustic Amp is an Ashdown, primarily they make Bass Amps but they do very good Acoustic ones and mine was recommended to me by a pro musician, I was looking at Marshall Acoustics Amps in his shop which were a wee bit more expensive but his advice was to try the Ashdown and yup I was sold on the sound it produced.

AndyT

Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:00 pm

What about this one? It seems to have everything I'm likely to need.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLCUBEST

neverfoundthetime

Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:28 pm

Yeah, that's one I've had in mind too, Andy. Looks like it can do all you need.

Yamaha48

Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:28 pm

Hello chris.
I have Mark Acoustic AC 101.
Nice sound and Dig effect onboard.
It was not cheap.
Here in the Netherlands 1075 EURO.

Greet Anton

BigBear

Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:41 pm

Chris- I have two amps. A Crate 125 Acoustic amp that will do everything you need to do in spades. My only problem with it is it's so powerful that it's hard to play quietly.

So I bought a Roland 20X Cube which I love. Small, very portable and crystal clear sound. Only problem with it is one channel plus an input for an iPod or other electronic device but not a mic.

Acoustic amps have really gained in popularity as guitar electronics have become so main stream. Stick to the good manufacturers and you'll be safe. Roland (Boss), Crate, Marshall, Ultra Sound, Behringer, Fender, Peavy, Line 6 all make high quality amps. Just know what you want, especially power-wise, before you buy. A powerful amp may seem attractive but if you have to play it dead-quiet like I do, it may sound terrible.

Good luck! :cheer:

reiver

Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:17 pm

Chris - I've seen good reviews for the AER 60W, in fact John Renbourne was using one! Not a bad recommendation....

r

ps bit pricey though

neverfoundthetime

Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:20 pm

Thanks Anton. Yeah that's definitely too expensive!
Thanks Bear, good point about being able to play quiet enough... that's also something I need if I'm going to playing at home as I mostly do. I definitely want a separate input for a mike and mp3 as well as guitar to (want it ALL!). I also don't want a monster of a thing weighing 30 kilos!
That's why I have my eye on the Rolands.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic