Audio Technical Question

jayswett

Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:16 pm

Not sure if anyone can help me with this without actually seeing my computer setup, but I have been trying to record audio directly (i.e. without using a microphone) into my computer by plugging my acoustic electric into the amplifier, and plugging the amplifier directly into the microphone jack of my Dell laptop computer. I can certainly record a song, but my problem is that in addition to the song, there is an annoying, constant humming, feedback like sound that gets recorded along with the music that I am playing. It does not seem to be an amplifier issue as I get great sound from it when not recording. My initial thought was that perhaps it's a sound card issue as I did not ask for an upgraded soundcard when I purchased this computer. I checked out the techies group but did not see anything about this particular problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I was thinking that Al may have a thought or two. Would the micro BR thingy discussed a month or so be of any help?

__m__

Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:33 pm

Like you stated, I'm not entirely sure of your computer setup, but in general PC microphone jacks are not designed for that kind of input. I think it might work, but you may have to find a balance between the microphone jack sensitivity and the amplifier output. Just try different levels to try to balance out that feedback. Now, the humming is most likely coming from the pickups on the guitar. When it is directly into the amplifier and that's it do you hear a humming? The sound could also be coming from the amp. You might try plugging the guitar directly into computer mic jack with an adapter. Just some suggestions. Try different things till you get what you want. You also might try a feedback filter if you've got one.

Not pushing Mac here, but my iMac does come standard with a "line in" jack just for this sort of purpose. You cannot put a regular mic into it, as to why I have to have a USB headset for VOIP, but it's intended for instrument recording. I've used it a lot with my acoustic. I've got an adapter that goes from the 1/4 inch standard jack to the little jack (1/8 inch??). Anyway, just some suggestions. I'd like to know what you figure out though.

M

haoli25

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:02 am

Jay, most sound cards have the standard RED, GREEN, and BLUE jacks on them. The RED is the mic input, GREEN is the speaker output, and the BLUE jack is for a line input. It would be best for you to use the line input, but be careful not to overdrive it from your amp.
You may have to re-configure the record inputs on your computer. Depending on your operating system, that is usually not very hard to do. If you know what sound card your computer is using, you can probably find detailed instructions online complete with pictures of the setup procedure.

Bill

AcousticAl

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:40 am

Hey jay,

I think M had some good advice. The first thing I was going to suggest was to bypass your amp altogether and see if the problem is still there. It could be that your amp output doesn't match what your computer input is expecting. I have a Dell PC and can go from my elec/acoustic to my computer input without issue. You'd need a 1/4 inch mono to stereo mini connector to do this.

Other than that, I'd try to tweak your record software. Adjust input levels? Even just wiggle the cables while you're recording. Sometimes it can just be a bad cable in the mix.

jayswett

Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:12 am

Thanks for the ideas. I will take these ideas and work on it over the weekend. I will report back when I come up with a solution.

jayswett

Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:30 am

TGSuzanne mentioned in a previous post (a month or so ago) the following product. My guess is that this would be what I need.

The thread was here:
http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/13- ... ng-devices

Very useful. Not sure how I missed it.

AcousticAl

Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:17 am

Hi again, Jay. Sorry I missed your other question about the microBR.
I have no doubt that you'd love it- even if it didn't solve your 'humm problem'. It has a 1/4 inch input for your guitar, and it has a stereo mini LINE out to go to your computer. The great part about it though, is that you can change your sound to whatever you feel like.

However, one thing I have problems with is when you have too many things in the chain (so to speak). You've got an adjustable output level on your elec/acoustic-- you've got an adjustable input on the MicroBR-- you've got an adjustable output level on the Micro-- and you've probably got an adjustable input level on your computer, depending on what program you're using and what options it give you. If any of those levels are off or out of whack, you'll have issues.

BTW- I posted this a while ago to the Community Video section. It's me messing around with 'Angie' (whoa.. settle down!!). It was when I first got the Micro and gives you an idea of how it can change your sound. I know the audio sync is off in the clip- but that's not from the Micro.. it was the way I uploaded to youtube.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/community ... serid=3989

Music Junkie

Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:23 am

Jay:

Everyone has made some good points here, hopefully you are getting it figured out. Al and M, I think are on the right track though. I would try to by-pass the amp all together and go directly from your guitar to the input on the computer. You can get a reducer to go from the 1/4 to the 1/8 plug. For sure use the line in rather than the microphone, as the microphone has a tendency to get overloaded very easily in most cases. They also make specific cords you can purchase from your local store that are designed to do just what you are looking for (the least number of adapters you have the better the sound quality in most cases). The first time I plugged directly in to my computer, I got a ton of static and break up. I had to go the the little speaker icon in the bottom right of my system tray and adjust the input levels from there, along with the output levels on my MicroBR (note that the the MicroBR has it's own input level that may need to be adjusted as well). I really think if you find the right patch cord and the right volume adjustments, you will have it licked.

MJ

:)

jayswett

Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:21 am

I managed to get pretty good sound using the excellent advice above. I did not plug directly into my computer from my A/E guitar, but I will try that. I didn't realize that was an option, despite having read your suggestions several times. Thanks again to all for the help.

AndyT

Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:22 pm

Just found this thread. Your amp is overloading your computer. Go direct to the computer from the guitar. You will get a clean sound. If you want to add effects, then you need to use software for that. A computer is not built to handle input from an amp.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic