Absolute Favorite Song - Only 1

tovo

Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:59 pm

OK I am SURE it's been done before but I searched and couldn't find it. Plus even if it has, here's a chance to reconsider.

What's your favorite song of all time? ONLY 1. It's tough, very tough but choose 1 and tell us why. Why does it mean so much to you?

OK I realise how tough it is now that I have to answer the question myself.

I'm going for "The River" by Bruce Springsteen. An anthem for the working class that captures the desperation of a man trapped by his circumstances.

Music Junkie

Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:14 pm

Tony:

That is one difficult question to answer! I will have to put some very serious thought into my answer. So much of it depends on my mood any given day. I'll have to reflect back on life and see which one popped up the most often to pull me through....

I'll have to get back to you.....

:)

dennisg

Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:17 pm

That's a tough question, Tony, because it's contextual. My answer will change depending on when you ask me. But since you asked me today — and not 15 years ago — I'd have to say it's "I still haven't found what I'm looking for " by U2. Lyrically, there's something extraordinarily powerful about the longing and sadness for a life unfulfilled. I must relate to that strongly for it to move me like it does. Musically, the song is perfect, with a melody and chorus that invite participation and command attention without bludgeoning the listener with bombast.

Not everyone's favorite song, I'm sure, but that's what makes the world go 'round.

Good job, Tony. It's a worthy question to ask.

By the way, I'm going to try to start a new trend: every time someone begins a new thread that I think is interesting, I'm going to give him or her a karma point. Why should responders get all the points?

- Dennis (in Seattle)

tovo

Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:17 pm

OK MJ, take your time mate. If you come back with "Hit me baby one more time" by Brittany Spears though we will know the wait was probably not worth it!

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:26 pm

If You Could Read My Mind by Gordon Lightfoot.
It's real, it's beautiful, it's powerful and he puts it over perfectly.

aitch

Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:49 pm

Dang, that's a tough question! and one I'd answer differently whenever the wind changes direction. But, one song that I can still get chill bumps from after listening to it for years is Eva Cassidy's cover of "Over the Rainbow".

aitch

Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:51 pm

Dang, that's a tough question! and one I'd answer differently whenever the wind changes direction. But, one song that I can still get chill bumps from after listening to it for years is Eva Cassidy's cover of "Over the Rainbow".

suziko

Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:10 pm

Tovo- Great question! "The River" is a great song, one that is hard to listen to without wanting to cry. Bruce is a very talented songwriter.

Ok, I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm saying that my all-time favorite song is Simple Minds's "Don't You Forget About Me." I love how it begins, I love the singer's very sexy voice (anyone who can sing the lines "I'll be alone. Dancing. You know it, baby" and not sound absolutely ridiculous has to have a great voice), and I like the words to it. It's a song that I would never turn off if it came on the radio; I have listened to this song probably thousands of times yet it never fails to evoke a certain melancholic, bittersweet feeling in me.

reiver

Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:11 pm

OK Tony - ever time someone asks a question that makes my brain hurt I'm going to deduct karma.........and this is your 2nd today!

But since you chose a Brooooce song I'm going to let you off.

For me, very tough - but I'd have to go for American Pie. When I first heard it I was about 12y.o. and it was the first song that really hit home with me. Made me want to be the guy on stage, singing and playing a guitar, if only I'd had some talent!

Had the good fortune of seeing Don MacLean perform it a few years back in Glasgow and it brought a tear to my eye. Other songs have come and gone, but this one has stuck with me through the years.

r

ps the Madonna version is a close second :laugh:

---------------------------------------------------------------

go Suzi with the Glasgow band - that makes you an honorary Scot.

quincy451

Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:13 pm

Simple answer: Guitar Boogie by Tommy Emmanuel.

It gets you moving.
It keeps you involved in the song.
It does not suffer in anyway from the lack of singing.
I can listen to it ALL day. I have done just that before.
I usually go with a youtube video which has Guitar Boogie rolling
right into Stevie's Blues.
Now I usually listen to this 3 or 4 times before going to bed. Not recommended. If you wonder why reread the first comment I made about this song.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic