If you could meet 1 musician

TGMatt

Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:04 pm

I think this thread has a mix of possibilites..some artists I think would be unbelievable to chat too...some are introverts or just not that interesting beyond their talent, others would be just amazing to sit with as they hack around at your request, David Gilmour was my pick because of this last point..listening to his tone...wow..

But if its home for dinner..then I think mixing intellect and stories they would have to share with personality leads me to a different answer, I think maybe Sting ...or Bono, maybe Bob Geldoff on the more modern side, earlier than this, I like the idea of say Glen Miller from teh big band days, days of chivalry and a different world, to say George harrison because of all the musicians I followed....his journey to the spiritual side seemed like one I could relate and learn from..

Anyways..just some more random musings..

Cheers

Matt

ncsurfer

Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:59 pm

One on one with a high caliber musician would have me hoping I wouldn't tie my fingers or my tongue into knots. I've never met anyone famous

If I could score a ride in his seaplane in some Caribbean port I would go with Jimmy Buffett, maybe catch some waves with Jack Johnson or Eddie Vedder, or sit and marvel at SRV's playing.

But to sit and talk and listen and jam I would love share a porch with John Prine or John Hiatt.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:59 pm

Great thread Tovo! Slapping some Karma on you mate.
Well, I was this close (shows very small gap between finger and thumb) to actually achieving my goal: chatting with Justin Hayward. It was at Art on Ice 3 or 4 years ago in Zürich. I had a backstage pass and an After Party pass from a client who was singing at the after party (her pass in fact). I've already told the story of him singing Nights in White Satin there live and me singing along with him full voice from underneath the bleachers! To cut a short story short, Justin had a cold and didn't come to the After Party but stayed in his room, Sugaro (Italian singer), Roger Hodgson of Super Tramp and Barclay James Harvest did, so I ended up sipping wine and chatting about nothing interesting to them! Man was I disappointed, for me it was Justin or nothing. I'd love to just shoot the breeze with him and ask about some of his song writing and listen to some of his stories. :S

wrench

Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:08 pm

Good question Tony, but difficult because a high-value selection would be a good and interesting person as well as an accomplished musician.

John Fogarty. Okay, I just heard all of you say What???!!! Yes, I got skewered repeatedly for not liking CCR's music, but I respect the fact they've been popular for about 40 years. Surely they've picked up some things I would find interesting, and I would like to learn what that is.

I'm always interested in learning what separates long careers from a flash in the pan.

wrench

Music Junkie

Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Nice thread Tony!

There are so many that I admire, it is hard to choose.

From those who have left us, I would choose Les Paul. He was such a pioneer, it would be so much fun to pick his brain with all sorts of questions from music to make up of guitars.

From those who are still with us, I would choose Neal Schon. Not so much for the rocking with Journey, Hardline and Soul Sirkus, but for his work on his solo albums. Most specifically "Beyond the Thunder". There are some great tracks there, and I would love to chat with him about how he came up with them and what they mean to him.....

MJ

B)

Music Junkie

Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:56 pm

Harrison.

If I have to choose a living person: Brian May

jayswett

Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:02 pm

Alive: Eric Clapton

Dead: Ray Charles

Tribe01

Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:23 pm

Jimmy Buffett. His songs aren't terribly difficult but they are fun and he probably has lots of stories to tell. Not to mention the Margarita's in the carribean.

musicrevisited

Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Paul Simon for sure!
Just yesterday I met Peter Yarrow (of Peter, Paul & Mary) at the Jewish Community Center in Buffalo, NY. Definitely a moment I will never forget. He is one of the most heartwarming people I have ever met and he signed his songbooks for me. I'll be posting pictures soon.

tovo

Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:24 pm

musicrevisited wrote:
Paul Simon for sure!
Just yesterday I met Peter Yarrow (of Peter, Paul & Mary) at the Jewish Community Center in Buffalo, NY. Definitely a moment I will never forget. He is one of the most heartwarming people I have ever met and he signed his songbooks for me. I'll be posting pictures soon.
That's cool mate. Did he have anything interesting to say?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic