Your "Go to" song

Chasplaya

Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:15 pm

My two most comfortable are probably Streets of London and Sweet Baby James -- I know the words, and can sing and play at the same time comfortably with each.

I'd *like* to be better at more of JTs stuff -- I'm pretty close to singing along with Fire and Rain, but I seem to get mental block on the words every time. I'd also like to learn Carolina On My Mind and You've Got a Friend, to name just a couple. Oh, and I'd like to better with Going To California, which I've been practicing for a couple months now.

But the song I've been struggling with the longest to sing along with is a French song, and my French just isn't good enough: JP Nataf's "Mon Ami D'en Haut". The lyrics are great, and its a great fingerpicking song - I've got the guitar part mostly down. But singing along -- I have a ways to go on this one.

Here's about the only video I've found of this: he seems nervous, and is singing a full step higher than the recording I learned from, but you get the idea.

willem

Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:19 pm

I have a dozen or so go to songs:

Angel from Montgomery
Alison
Blackbird
Is she really going out with him
Rocket Man
Everybody's Talkin'
Fire and Rain
Man in the moon
Fire - Springsteen
Your Cheatin' Heart
Wish you were here
Scarborough fair

But I also have a fake book I made with probably 75 songs I can play well. I highly recommend everyone put one together. It's impossible to remember everything you can play when you are put on the spot.

Right now I'm working on Roxanne.

Music Junkie

Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:25 pm

wandoctor wrote:
I have a dozen or so go to songs:

Angel from Montgomery
Alison
Blackbird
Is she really going out with him
Rocket Man
Everybody's Talkin'
Fire and Rain
Man in the moon
Fire - Springsteen
Your Cheatin' Heart
Wish you were here
Scarborough fair

But I also have a fake book I made with probably 75 songs I can play well. I highly recommend everyone put one together. It's impossible to remember everything you can play when you are put on the spot.

Right now I'm working on Roxanne.
This is a great idea. I have one that I have been working on for a while now. I know that a few others here do as well. There are a lot of songs that you can play if you can just memorize them. If you have your book, it is nice to use it for reference. Great point!

MJ

quincy451

Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:31 pm

Easy one for me:
Guitar Boogie by Author Smith

If I could manage it, still can't:
Guitar Boogie by Tommy Emmanuel closing with his Stevie's Blues.

Then of course I ask if anyone wants to pick a little...

neverfoundthetime

Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:00 pm

Usually start with:
Mrs. Robinson
The boxer
You've got to Hide Your Love Away
or
Year of The Cat

suziko

Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:01 pm

But the song I've been struggling with the longest to sing along with is a French song, and my French just isn't good enough: JP Nataf's "Mon Ami D'en Haut". The lyrics are great, and its a great fingerpicking song - I've got the guitar part mostly down. But singing along -- I have a ways to go on this one.

FJVBD- Great song! I hope you post a video of your version soon, even if you don't sing. I like the idea of playing and singing a french song, too (maybe something by Serge Gainsbourg?); I actually feel a lot more confident about my singing when I don't sing in English!

suziko

Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:05 pm

My go to songs are: Wish You Were Here, Here Comes the Sun and Ripple.

I've been struggling with a fingerstyle arrangement of Desperado for over a month now and can only play about half of it so far....wish I could play that one already!

The rest of the list of songs I wish I could play is very long...

slarryhardy

Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:35 pm

suziko wrote:
I actually feel a lot more confident about my singing when I don't sing in English!
I feel similarly -- though, I'm most confident when I don't sing! :silly:

reiver

Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:50 pm

My go to is probably Thrasher by NY, adapted for 6 string. (My favourite NY song)

Right now, I wish I could go to Windy and Warm or Over the Hills 'cos I've been working on W&W for about a week now and can only manage section 1, and the reason that I started on it was because Over the Hills had hit a wall. Some day..........

r

__m__

Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:54 pm

Yeah, see, that's where I'm trying to get... don't really have a go to song cause I don't feel like I'm good enough to do such a thing quite yet. There's a couple that I can play well, but don't like to sing in front of anyone yet, so it's pretty boring at my current playing level. Maybe I worry about it too much... Maybe I need to post one on here and try it out on you guys first! :P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic