Your "Go to" song

tovo

Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:33 pm

When the relatives and friends gather around and someone asks you to bring out your guitar and strum your stuff, what tune do you go to as a standard?

Secondly, what song do you wish you COULD go to?

willem

Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:38 pm

Well Tony,when we are under friends we alway's start with''you can get it if you really want'' easy strum and up tempo nr......... or ''sail away'' Neil Young.. there's a vid with friends on mine profile..we do country strumming...

suziko

Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:43 pm

My "go-to" song: probably "Leaving on a Jet Plane" (P,P & M version), because it has a nice intro and I can generally always get through it with no mistakes. I usually try to play Needle and the Damage Done and end up botching it.

The song I wish I could play: so many, but maybe "Say Yes" by Elliott Smith:

tovo

Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:46 pm

Nice tunes Willem. Suzi that tune is very cool, never heard it (or him) before. Sometimes I feel like I'm living under a rock! That's 2 you have introduced me to. Thanks.

musicrevisited

Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:59 pm

PP&M's version of "Leaving On A Jet Plane," S&G's "The Only Living Boy In New York," and Donovan's "Catch The Wind."
What I wish I could play?
S&G's "Kathy's Song" and "Wednesday Morning 3 A.M."

willem

Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:07 pm

i forget something, you had two questions,,, for now i wish to could do some Xmas/songs and practice in between ''with a little help from my friends''

jayswett

Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:40 pm

suziko wrote:
The song I wish I could play: so many, but maybe "Say Yes" by Elliott Smith:
Suzi, That song doesn't sound too far off for you, based on what I've seen of your vids. The solo part, perhaps, but not the rhythm section.

jayswett

Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:42 pm

musicrevisited wrote:
PP&M's version of "Leaving On A Jet Plane," S&G's "The Only Living Boy In New York," and Donovan's "Catch The Wind."
What I wish I could play?
S&G's "Kathy's Song" and "Wednesday Morning 3 A.M."
I'm also partial to a Simon and Garfunkle song called The Dangling Conversation. Fairly easy to fingerpick and it sounds pretty reasonable for beginner/intermediate types. I would love for you to post a video of Catch the Wind. Love that song.

suziko

Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:00 pm

Jay- I think you're right. I actually printed out the TAB last night, but I still find it challenging to look at on-line TAB and translate that into how the song is actually supposed to sound.

Tony- Incidentally, I thought very seriously about putting this song as my "favorite all-time song" in the thread you started. But I've only known it for the past 5 or so years, so it lost out to "Don't You...", which I've loved for going on 25 years.

Music Junkie

Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:13 pm

My go-to songs that I can play now:

"Just remember I Love You" by Firefall
"Strange Way" by Firefall
"Face in the Crowd" by Tom Petty (sorry Neil - please don't disown me)
"Yer So bad" by Tom Petty (sorry again Neil....)
"Just A Song Before I Go" by CSN
"Holder Her and Loving You" by Earl Thomas Conley

Songs I wish I could go to:

"From the Beginning" by ELP (part way there....)
"It'll All Work Out" by Tom Petty
"Crawling Back To You" by Tom Petty
"Rocky Mountain High" by John Denver
"Afterglow" by Great White (almost done transcribing this one, so it won't be much longer)
"Longer" by Dan Fogelberg

There are so many others that I would want a go-to's as well....

:) Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic