Electric guitar question

jayswett

Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:47 pm

I have an old electric guitar which I use to practice at night when the kids are asleep. I can plug my headphones into the amp and play without bothering anyone. My question is this: is there any reason not to use a capo on an electric guitar? It seems to work OK, but I can't say I've ever seen it done.

b1bmsgt

Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:54 pm

I do it all the time. Haven't seen any problems.

Russ

Music Junkie

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:56 pm

Jay:

I practice with mine every night as well. I use a capo all the time. You don't see it as often, but they are used on electrics as well, and can be just as helpful. I like to mess around fingerpicking on the electric. Try playing Landslide with a little reverb and delay.....sounds very cool in my opinion....

MJ

:)

Chasplaya

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:44 pm

jayswett wrote:
I have an old electric guitar which I use to practice at night when the kids are asleep. I can plug my headphones into the amp and play without bothering anyone. My question is this: is there any reason not to use a capo on an electric guitar? It seems to work OK, but I can't say I've ever seen it done.
Use then for the same reason as for acoustics. I do it from time to time

Laszlo

Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:01 am

I use the capo with my electric as well (usually at late night) and I can assure you that no problems could be found during the last 7 years.
So don't worry, keep on practice :-)

jayswett

Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:30 am

Music Junkie wrote:
Jay:

I practice with mine every night as well. I use a capo all the time. You don't see it as often, but they are used on electrics as well, and can be just as helpful. I like to mess around fingerpicking on the electric. Try playing Landslide with a little reverb and delay.....sounds very cool in my opinion....

MJ

Thanks for the responses. I figured it was probably OK, but was struck with the notion that you just don't see people doing it very often. I will keep plugging away. As for Landslide, I will try the reverb and delay. I have been working on Landslide for a couple of months now on the acoustic. It sounds pretty good but have yet to get the solo to sound anything like Neil's version.

Music Junkie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:44 pm

jayswett wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:
Jay:

MJ

Thanks for the responses. I figured it was probably OK, but was struck with the notion that you just don't see people doing it very often. I will keep plugging away. As for Landslide, I will try the reverb and delay. I have been working on Landslide for a couple of months now on the acoustic. It sounds pretty good but have yet to get the solo to sound anything like Neil's version.
Well Jay......for any of us to think that we will get our playing to sound like Neil's at this point is just plum crazy!!!!!! Just have fun with it and it will get there. I really like the feel of my electric when I play. I have the MicroBR and when I play it on super clean with some delay and reverb, I can get the fingerpicking songs to sound very cool in my opinion. Certainly not for a purist, but to each his own. Music can be so subjective and if you think it is good, then it is good!

Cheers!

MJ

temo44

Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:07 am

About the electric guitar, I was at a friend of mine yesterday, and he was asking me if this site could also be perfectly learnable(is that a word??) with an electric guitar. He doesn't have an acoustic guitar..

jayswett

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:46 am

Temo,
check out the "electric guitar" section under The Target tab above. yes, and electric guitarist could benefit quite alot from this site, in my opinion.

Music Junkie

Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:52 am

Temo:

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

Anything you learn for the acoustic can be applied to the electric (well, almost anything). Plus, like Jay mentioned, they have recently added an electric section. It is still in it's infancy, but it will no doubt grow. A lot of it depends on the questions being asked. We are lucky at this site, in so much as we get to take it in new directions (somewhat) by asking questions and helping each other out! I play electric more often than acoustic (still mostly rhythm). That being said, the theory portions of this site can be applied to both to be sure!

Hope that helps!

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic