An idea for practicing

jayswett

Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:57 pm

When I watch Neil play the guitar, I am impressed with many things, but particulary with his ability to move his left hand up and down the neck of the guitar with barely a glance. I was thinking that perhaps some time spent practicing in the pitch dark might be useful in terms of learning to "feel" one's way around the guitar, rather than "see" one's way around the guitar. I'm not sure that such a skill would be useful, but my guess is that it would be, if only to establish more efficiently muscle memory. Has anyone heard of such a concept?

TGMatt

Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:01 pm

In a Galaxy far far away a long time ago...one of my distant cousins Luke, used a blind fold to learn the light saber..

In all seriousness, Neil and I have discussed some of this stuff before..and yes it will help, and maybe not even going to this extreme is neccesary, by just holding a guitar whilst watching tv, and without strumming fully or musting or not all, just practising moves, then their is the mental side of visualising moves...and their is so much more..

But of course their is merit to it, not that many folk are going to put time aside to this specific activity...may as well play in the loght frankly..

But going back to the idea..use the guitar without playing whilst watching TV et ctc..

__m__

Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:39 pm

TGMatt wrote:
But going back to the idea..use the guitar without playing whilst watching TV et ctc..

There are a lot of times I'm practicing some techniques or something while reading the forums here... Same concept I would guess.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:52 pm

Jay, you just discovered a great learning idea to focus your left hand learning. Great idea! Maybe just looking away will do the same. It won't work at the very beginning of learning a piece or move but it will soon kick in and strengthen the neural pathways you build for the left hand and enable you to get to that fully automatic state of play. Switching the sensory focus can be really interesting. How do you think José Feliciano learned! Great stuff.... may the force be with you....

jdrdracing

Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:26 pm

I play all the time while watching TV with the family and just strum very lightly without a pick so nobody punches me. :)

johnrfeeney

Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:27 am

i have learned that if i practice a song every day, say for a few weeks and don't look at the neck my finger will get better and better at finding the correct frets. i would expect though that a totally different guitar would take a little getting used to

Moondog

Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:53 pm

I often play while watching TV (electric guitar as not to disturb too much)Sometimes I go into my "Man Cave" and practice with eyes closed.

Mike

jayswett

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:09 pm

Noodling around with the electric while watching TV is a good idea. Without it plugged into the amp, it's low enough not to bother anyone, but loud enough for me to hear. I'm going to work on the blinded practice technique. Something tells me it will be a useful practice maneuver. I'll let you know how it works out. Give me a month or so...

frybaby

Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:00 am

Likewise. Often after working on a chord change or a lead line, I regularly close my eyes and try to duplicate the move. I am frequently amazed that after working out some particular fingering, studying the finger position,(some time just looking at it and determining the chord tones locations (first, third, fifth etc), and determining the most efficient way to get to the position. position, then moving there slowly as I watch what is required for each finger to do to accomplish the task, I am able to get there with eyes closed, muscle memory I suppose.
Also something I discovered that works for me is based on something I heard some where some time ago. It is this that if you repeat a word ( or action) 30 time it facilitate memory and it will become a habit. I do this with chord changes.
If I have a new or difficult chord , or chord change I need to learn. I repeat the change 30 time, and in most cases I have it down, at least the fingering. Speed comes next. same principle works for me.
Worth a try. BTY, while making the changes I repeat the chord name out loud

TGCheryle

Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:43 am

I had plans of starting a thread called "Playing with your eyes closed" when I (luckily) saw this one.

I've been doing this a bit lately, and I think its a great way to get familiar with the feel under the left hand. My experience is, well, profound. I'll close my eyes, and then begin to move between two states: first, I'll be pretty hit and miss, especially if the left hand finger work is at all tricky, and I'll have strong temptation to "cheat" and peek. My right hand may be less accurate as well, but not as much.

But, pretty soon, I find that my left hand begins to really feel the strings and the music, and it becomes almost trivial to get the strings/frets on time and with accuracy. I'm not talking Classical Gas here, I can't play that with my eyes open -- but things like the Wish You Were Here Intro and Lead, or Needle and Damage Done, or Norwegian Wood. Its actually a full body experience: my focus becomes sharper yet easier at the same time, and the music just begins to happen. How long this lasts varies, and I flip sort of in and out of this state, but it is pretty rewarding and I think it does improve my playing. The goal, I would think, would be to bring that flow-state into the everyday experience of playing -- eyes open, in front of people, or just noodling.

No, no controlled substances are involved, other than the music. No, I did not recently bump my head or get in a car wreck.

Give it a try.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic