Guitar etiquette - Playing someone else's guitar

Chasplaya

Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:02 pm

tovo wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:

Deliberate ploy to get a bite, so not to disappoint you... Would that be beside your Banjo.. or didgeridoo... Due to how well they play you would have a queue outside your house 24/7, you'd get no peace!
Yes but at least you could rest easy knowing it would still be there in the morning!
That would be down to respect for you making an informed and good choice

BigBear

Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:16 am

tovo wrote:
...I guess if I had a Cole Clark I would leave it out on the porch for passers-by to have a strum. ;)

Ouch! That's harsh! Hysterical, but harsh! lol! Now was that a covered porch or not?

Spoken like a true Taylor owner! :laugh:

Catman

Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:41 am

I won't touch another persons guitar without permission, and would expect the same from others. That being said, I usually give permission without hesitation. Exceptions are usually small children.

When I get my Taylor, that may change... :unsure:

wadestar

Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:06 pm

First if someone asked, I would ask can you play? If they can not I ask them to be gentle no string bashing. I would take offence if someone just grabbed my guitar and started playing. Almost like taking a mans wife and making moves on her, not cool.

Chasplaya

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:14 pm

BigBear wrote:
tovo wrote:
...I guess if I had a Cole Clark I would leave it out on the porch for passers-by to have a strum. ;)

Ouch! That's harsh! Hysterical, but harsh! lol! Now was that a covered porch or not?

Spoken like a true Taylor owner! :laugh:
Now if it were a Taylor on the Porch I'd have no worries at all cos if it got broke I'd mosey on down to the production line and get another clone of the one i had lol

heyjoe

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:44 am

I think it's manners to ask, no matter where, house, shop etc etc

I wouldn't want anyone picking mine up without asking either- its taking a liberty, as far as I'm concerned.

Whats the old saying, something like " do unto others as you'd have other do unto you"...simple as that.

Joe

jayswett

Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:04 am

I feel differently than most of you about this. I wouldn't have any problem with someone picking up guitar and playing it without first asking. In fact, I'd be pleased to see it. Of course, my guitars are not very expensive and already have a nick or two. If someone were to sit down at your piano and begin playing without first asking, would you be similarly offended?

dennisg

Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:35 am

Jay,

I'm with you on this. I just don't mind someone playing my guitars. But I do think there's a subtle difference between the guitar and the piano. Most of us don't pick up a piano to play it, so we're not likely to bang it against the arm of a chair or a wall. Guitars are a lot more fragile, and you play them by picking them up, so the chances of injuring one are far greater. Still, that doesn't stop me from encouraging people to play my guitars.

- Dennis

hasben

Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:24 am

My Martin is on a stand in the living room. Anyone so inclined is welcome to give it a try. The chance is great that the resulting sound will be far more charming than when Martin is in my hands.

However, beware of drunks-- including yourself.

If I am not around, well, I would have to ask: What are you doing in my living room?

jayswett

Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:38 am

dennisg wrote:
Jay,

But I do think there's a subtle difference between the guitar and the piano. Most of us don't pick up a piano to play it, so we're not likely to bang it against the arm of a chair or a wall. Guitars are a lot more fragile, and you play them by picking them up, so the chances of injuring one are far greater.
- Dennis
Good point.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic