Guitar etiquette - Playing someone else's guitar

dennisg

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:03 pm

I hear you, Chas. But I feel differently. I'll let just about anyone handle my guitar, so long as ... A) they're not in the middle of a swing dance, B) in the throws of an epileptic seizure, or C) John Belushi rehearsing the folk-singer scene in Animal House. Of course, I'll mentally frisk the person first for belt buckles, zippers, snaps, etc. and take appropriate precautions. I just believe there's an unspoken agreement when someone plays your guitar -- any damage done to it will be handled by the person who damaged it. Here's an example:

Not too long ago, I got a minister's license so that I could perform a wedding ceremony for a lesbian couple I'm friends with. Very nice ceremony, I might add. Anyway, someone wanted to sing a song during the ceremony, but he didn't own an acoustic guitar, so i loaned him my Guild. The Guild is from the early '70s, and it still has the original strap with an adjustment buckle on it. At some point during the day, the guy took the strap off of himself, and the buckle slammed against the guitar, putting a nice dent next to the soundhole. The guy was humiliated, of course, but recognized his responsibility to take care of it, and did so without any prompting from me. He was also nice enough to have the action improved while he was at it. To me, that's the way it should be. I'm happy to let others use my stuff. But you break it, you fix it. I would do (and have done) the same when I'm on the other end of the equation.

- Dennis (in Seattle, thinking about changing my keyboard macro)

AndyT

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:22 pm

Dennis,
Ok, but that's your guitar and by handing it to him, you were giving him permission to use it.

To go to someone's home and just pick something up and play or use it is very rude and I would not hesitate to bring it to the persons attention. In a loving gentle way of course...

BigBear

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:25 pm

I think the answer is real simple. If you leave your guitar out, in full view, it's fair game. If you don't want it played put it away! A guitar in a case is always off-limits.

Cheers! :cheer:

p.s. Chas, a "tuppence" ? Is that like old English money? lol!

Chasplaya

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 pm

BigBear wrote:
I think the answer is real simple. If you leave your guitar out, in full view, it's fair game. If you don't want it played put it away! A guitar in a case is always off-limits.

Cheers! :cheer:

p.s. Chas, a "tuppence" ? Is that like old English money? lol!
I think your equivalent would be 'two cents worth' and yup tuppence was two pennies

dennisg

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:59 pm

AndyT wrote:
Dennis,
Ok, but that's your guitar and by handing it to him, you were giving him permission to use it.

To go to someone's home and just pick something up and play or use it is very rude and I would not hesitate to bring it to the persons attention. In a loving gentle way of course...
Andy,

I don't disagree with that. My comment to Chas about feeling differently than him was in reference to something he said earlier, but I think my post got moved. I made it clear that I expect someone to seek permission before using my guitars.

- Dennis

Moondog

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:22 pm

I'm way too anal about my guitars to let just anyone play them. I make sure I'm not wearing a belt so I have no scratches on them. Every guitar except for one has a hard case for it (18 hard cases and 1 gig bag)I have a lot of money invested in guitars so I want to keep them looking new for as long as I can.

Mike

tovo

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:26 pm

I'd be upset if someone used my guitar without my permission. I keep my Taylor in it's case all the time, but I should be able to leave things out in my own home or own space such as my office.

I gotta agree with Andy, you don't use other people's gear without asking. I'm not overly precious about my guitar, I've handed it to others to have a play. Taylor is a really well regarded brand in this country so people often ask to play it and that's cool, but that's with my permission and knowledge. I understand how close people get to their instrument so I think other players should really understand that it's not cool to play without asking.

I guess if I had a Cole Clark I would leave it out on the porch for passers-by to have a strum. ;)

Chasplaya

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:27 pm

Moondog wrote:
I'm way too anal about my guitars to let just anyone play them. I make sure I'm not wearing a belt so I have no scratches on them. Every guitar except for one has a hard case for it (18 hard cases and 1 gig bag)I have a lot of money invested in guitars so I want to keep them looking new for as long as I can.

Mike
Fair enough.

Question: imagine you and I (both reasonable folk) meet at a mutual friends' house for a few beers and small jam session. Things are going pretty well, and after several songs, I reach my guitar out to you in one hand and my other in an expectant manner, saying "Hey, Moondog, you wanna swap for a couple songs?"

How do you respond?

(This is, more or less, from a recent real world experience).

Chasplaya

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:56 pm

tovo wrote:
I'd be upset if someone used my guitar without my permission. I keep my Taylor in it's case all the time, but I should be able to leave things out in my own home or own space such as my office.

I gotta agree with Andy, you don't use other people's gear without asking. I'm not overly precious about my guitar, I've handed it to others to have a play. Taylor is a really well regarded brand in this country so people often ask to play it and that's cool, but that's with my permission and knowledge. I understand how close people get to their instrument so I think other players should really understand that it's not cool to play without asking.

I guess if I had a Cole Clark I would leave it out on the porch for passers-by to have a strum. ;)
Deliberate ploy to get a bite, so not to disappoint you... Would that be beside your Banjo.. or didgeridoo... Due to how well they play you would have a queue outside your house 24/7, you'd get no peace!

tovo

Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Chasplaya wrote:

Deliberate ploy to get a bite, so not to disappoint you... Would that be beside your Banjo.. or didgeridoo... Due to how well they play you would have a queue outside your house 24/7, you'd get no peace!
Yes but at least you could rest easy knowing it would still be there in the morning!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic