Guitar etiquette - Unsolicited playing

temo44

Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:17 pm

Ok, another etiquette question:

I am still in a (prolonged, seemingly) 'obsessed' phase: if I'm near my (or any -- see other etiquette thread) guitar, I want to be playing it. Period. So, generally, I do -- I pick it up and play.

Problem is this: sometimes folks are there in the room, talking and doing things people do. I always try to be sensitive with volume, singing, etc -- but my sense of how loud my guitar is (is it *ever* too loud ;) ) may not be others. For the most part, I find folks don't mind a little background music, but I've also gotten some feedback from my wife...er, folks...suggesting that maybe I'd be better of waiting until asked. She's made the comment -- fair enough -- that it connotes a lack of interest in what's happening in the room such that I need to fill it with guitar playing.

So, is it rude to play unsolicited? Should one wait until asked, or perhaps ask 'Would you mind if I played?' -- or does that feel like fishing? After all, who would say, "No, please don't play your guitar."

Not the most important of guitar topics, I guess, but interesting enough I hope.

Cheers.

suziko

Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Well, it depends on the situation. If it's just you and your immediate family (wife, kids if you have them), I don't see any problem with picking up your guitar and playing pretty much whenever, as long as it's not disturbingly loud (and as long as you're not, for example, in the middle of an argument with your wife. 'Cos that would be rude). But if you are with guests, extended family, etc, I would say it might seem a little weird or rude if you just busted out your guitar and started playing out of the blue. People might be like, "Oh! Ok! Now we're getting a performance!" Better to give people a little time to prepare mentally. You could say, "Hey would anyone mind if I played some songs. I've been working on a couple of things and I'd like to try them out on you." or whatever.

Also, something may seem all-encompassingly fascinating to you, but not so much to other people. So even though you want to play and talk guitar 24/7, try to keep it in moderation with others. If people are fidgeting, looking at watches, yawning, etc, it might be best to put the guitar away for a while.

Chasplaya

Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:42 pm

I'm with Suzi on this one, if its my guitar and I had friends round i'd ask then if they would like to hear something. Depends on the friends and situation though, tact springs to mind here. If I were at friends and it wasn't my guitar and I got the itch to play i'd ask first, most friends know I play and some invite me to play so thats not a problem. But never unsolicited sorry thats rude..

dennisg

Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:42 pm

I completely agree with Suzi. I'd also add that playing a guitar during a gathering of people can easily be perceived by them as strange because of ... 1) your need to detach from the rest of the people and enter your own world; and 2) your acute need for attention. When someone starts playing a musical instrument during a gathering, people are going to feel obligated to pay attention to him, because it feels rude to talk while someone's playing.

Of course, this is easy for me to say. I never feel inclined to inflict my music on other people.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

wiley

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:11 pm

dennisg wrote:
... 1) your need to detach from the rest of the people and enter your own world; and 2) your acute need for attention.
Guilty on both charges! :) I was only somewhat joking when I referred to this as an obsession -- I find myself easily distracted with thoughts of the guitar when I'm near one, mine especially. That has, admittedly, made me more prone to daydreaming and becoming detached if not engrossed in the topic at hand.

As to 2): I'm reminded of a song lyric: "Oh Lord, its hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way!" ;) Seriously, though, I don't think I'm so much the narcissist that this is my motivation, but I recognize I'm as guilty as any when enjoying attention.

All posts have excellent points and I will take them to heart.

Cheers.

BigBear

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:16 pm

A couple of additional thoughts. First, there is a time and a place for everything. When family or friends are having a nice conversation, they may not appreciate your latest rendition of Crazy Train. But after dinner or when the conversation is dying down it may be a perfect opportunity to play some quiet, mellow music. If the group wants to hear Born to Be Wild they''ll ask!

Second, there is big difference between playing and practicing. If you are going to actually play, do it and don't just play parts of songs. That can be really annoying to a casual listener. If a song has verses and a chrous for example, at least play a couple.

Maybe the best advice is if you want to demonstrate all the great new TARGET songs you've learned just put your guitar on a stand in the corner of the room and if no one asks, don't play. Usually, someone will ask "Do you play?" (Duh! "No, the guitar is something our interior decorator thought would look good in the room!" lol!) and you have your opening.

Good luck! :cheer:

tovo

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:39 pm

I always take out the guitar when I'm tired, want to go to bed and have guests over who don't seem keen to leave.....works a treat.

Music Junkie

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:20 pm

I have what could be considered an obsession...... If there is a guitar around, I feel a need to pick it up and check it out. Luckily for me, most guitars are right handed and I can not play them (or that could be luckily for everyone else). If there was one around and it was left handed, that would be an entirely different story. A neighbor and friend of mine plays in a band and we go to the local pub and watch his band whenever we get a chance. Everyone is sitting around chatting about all sorts of things, and I am staring intensely trying to figure out how they are playing a certain song, or watching their style to see if there is anything to be learned there. My wife makes fun of me, but she understands how much I enjoy this instrument, and cuts me a lot of slack.....

B)

Chasplaya

Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:24 pm

Well I guess I am kind of lucky. I was able to slip off to my office which is a separate building from the main house and play and sing as loud as I want. Or I just go into the family room and close the double doors and play to my hearts content. Hey, most people don't care how loud they play the TV or radio do they? So hey, why in the heck should they care if your minding your own business creating musical history on your guitar anyways. So hey bro just crank up that double stack and blast them right out of the house. That'll show um......lol just kidding.

PG

AcousticAl

Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:32 pm

oops- thought I was posting my previous comment in the other etiquette thread that's going..

I usually don't play when we have company over unless they specifically ask me to, or what I'm working on. I still don't have the confidence to run with it either. Once you start playing and people are liking what you're doing, they don't want to hear you start over, or not finish a song completely. Gets annoying really quick.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic