First time on Bass

AndyT

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:38 am

Tonight at the Thursday night Jams, I played Bass for the first time. Did pretty well actually. I knew the strings were the same as the fattest 4 on guitar so I just played the note for whatever chord we were on. Sounded pretty darn good for a first timer.

I never had a desire to play bass at all, but after tonight I can see how it could be fun.

willem

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:26 am

AndyT wrote:
Tonight at the Thursday night Jams, I played Bass for the first time. Did pretty well actually. I knew the strings were the same as the fattest 4 on guitar so I just played the note for whatever chord we were on. Sounded pretty darn good for a first timer.

I never had a desire to play bass at all, but after tonight I can see how it could be fun.
very important that bass,,,is it heavy to play Andy... or heavenly??

AndyT

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:30 am

Both! Heavy guitar but a heavenly sound! It added quite a bit to our jam session tonight.

heyjoe

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:50 am

I know exactly what you mean Andy, I've tried bass a couple of times, the weight isnt a lot different, the thickness of the strings takes a bit of getting used to, and the difference in neck length.

Main difference though, fingerpicking, it ruined my fingers for a while!
Its always good to play a different instrument occasionally, gives you an alternative perspective on your instrument

BigBear

Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:51 am

Andy,

I played guitar in an ensemble. We had an instructor as a moderator. I was always having trouble with my rythm and timing. My instructor had me switch to bass for awhile. It sure gives you an appreciation for the drummer and bass player, don't it? We performed at a local club a few times with me as the bass player. While the guitarists could take it easy between thier parts, The drummer and I had to keep locked up and playing! Needless to say, my rythm and timing is vastly improved. I recommend any guitarist take up the bass at least for awhile.

Mshrad

temo44

Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:21 pm

I always thought that the bass is a cool instrument to play! Like the bassit of the Red hot chilli(chili?) peppers. But I don't know any friends who have a bass guitar...

cabro

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:49 pm

Bass can be as easy or as hard as you (or the drummer) make it. Being relegated to the rhythm section ain't so bad and there are a few bass players that do step out once in a while. Check out these guys:

The gentleman in the blue plaid is Les Claypool

AndyT

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:55 pm

Yes, timing is critical on a bass. When I played it, I had a lot of fun but I also knew I had to be the metronome for the rest of them. Our drummer did not make it last night.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic