Steel String Classical

AndyT

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:42 am

I know I've seen one. Does anyone know who makes the steel string classical? The neck is about halfway between a standard classical and a standard steel string. I think thats where I need to be looking for my next axe.

mmmbldo

Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:57 am

Are you talking about something that uses steel strings, or a nylon string guitar that has characteristics of a steel string?

AndyT

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:41 pm

A steel string guitar with a wider neck like a classical.

mmmbldo

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:54 pm

Seagull guitars (I have one) have a somewhat wide neck..most are, I believe, 1.8" wide. They also have a short scale. They have a variety of styles and prices from about $350 to $1500. Their website www.seagullguitars.com has a spec sheet. I don't know if this is the kind of thing you had in mind. I'll try to think of others.

Update: Also check Recording King ROS models - www.recordingking.com.

BigBear

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:45 pm

Andy- virtually any guitar can be ordered with a wide neck. My 6 string Larrivee has a 12 string neck on it that I believe is 1-15/16th wide. I ordered it that way and it is a very common substitution.

If you are talking about a true classical guitar with steel strings I don't think you'll see that. A classical guitar is built, and braced, much lighter than a steel guitar due to the major difference in string tension. Just pick up a good classical guitar and you'll see what I mean. They are light as a feather.

A lighter guitar resonates easier and produces a very different sound. Also, classical guitars typically use cedar for their tops where steel guitar use spruce due to it's much greater strength. Plus. classicals don't use bridge pins and on and on...

That being said, some guitar makers, like Seagull that mmmbido mentioned, do make cedar topped steel string guitars. I bought one for my son. Nice guitar but the tone is really muted compared to spruce. For someone who loves the sound of Taylor, a cedar topped guitar isn't good to my ear!

Cheers! :cheer:

AndyT

Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:04 pm

I guess what I mean is I want a regular steel string guitar with a wider neck. LOL

mmmbldo

Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:11 pm

That's what the Seagulls are (the Recording Kings too). By the way, Seagull also makes spruce topped guitars. Not pushing these, just clarifying.

mmmbldo

Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:19 pm

Fylde also makes wide neck steel strings, they're like playing a little slice o' heaven.

BigBear

Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:19 pm

mmmbldo wrote:
That's what the Seagulls are (the Recording Kings too). By the way, Seagull also makes spruce topped guitars. Not pushing these, just clarifying.

Don't worry, many of us are big Seagull fans. I believe they are the best guitar value on the market. They sound great, play great and look really nice and are probably worth double what they charge for them! We've had several threads here before you joined extolling the virtues of Seagull and despite my love for Taylor and Larrivee, I've recommended Seagull to many people and no one has been disappointed!

I think Seagull's S6 line is all spruce tops isn't it?

Cheers! :cheer:

mmmbldo

Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:33 pm

BigBear wrote:

I think Seagull's S6 line is all spruce tops isn't it?

No, I believe they are spruce and cedar. That's what mine is, and it's cedar. I think I have read of spruce in the S6 though. Some series are all of one wood or the other; some are mixed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic