Steel String Classical

AndyT

Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:50 pm

I'm going to have to go play a Seagull at the local store.

quincy451

Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:44 am

wandoctor wrote:
Fylde also makes wide neck steel strings, they're like playing a little slice o' heaven.
Fylde: never heard of them...from the looks of there instruments online...man to they look wonderful. But look twice the prices are in pounds. I am sure they sound great.

Thanks for the seaguil recommendation. I didn't know they where noted for there wider neck designs. They definately have a price within mortal reach.

This thread is interesting. But not much to add in terms of recommendations. Except this. If you have not played a real classical before while your looking at the seaguils in the store pick up one real classical with nylon strings preferably a yahama or something like that. What I am pointing out is yea the nut taller top to bottom which splits the strings a little better for fringerstyle possibly. But hit a G and feel how far back that neck pushes your thumb. There is a lot more wood there between your thumb and the fretboard. Makes a difference in feel and I feel it makes a difference in sound. The bigger neck on the classical seems to result in more of a spanish classical sound. Personally I find the typical steel string a litle more forgiving on the hands. The classical will work your hands holding that neck for long periods. But I also find my thumb wants to fly over the neck some place. I think you will find the neck heavier but the rest of the instrument lighter.

Now for your search. Some questions to consider:
1) do you want a slotted headstock? (do you care about that).
2) do yu want the pull through bridge of a classical? (do you care about that).
3) do you want a cutaway?
4) do you want a 12th fret join, or do you want the more typical 14th fret seen on steel string?
5) electronics (yes/no/add later)?
6) do you want the narrow front to back neck of a steel string with the top to bottom string spacing approaching the classical?
7) do you want a spuce top or a cedar top?
8) what level of radiusing do you want on your neck?

Ramble mode off...good luck in your search. I know when I was last looking for a guitar. I was at first looking for a slotted headstock, steel string, with a 12th fret join, and no cutaway or electronics with the wide nut and narrow neck of a steel string. Didn't find it, so that search might continue. But I have to see where the current path of exploration goes. Good luck.

AndyT

Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:02 am

I've heard of Fylde, but never seen one in person. Its made in England I think.

A slotted headstock would be fine. It would be a different look for a steel string. I for sure want the electronics built in already. I'd rather not have to do any adding later.

As I've been playing this one and that one, I found that I play best on an old Yamaha classical. The string spacing is ideal for my hand and finger size. And I can still strum it smoothly.

quincy451

Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:32 pm

AndyT wrote:
I've heard of Fylde, but never seen one in person. Its made in England I think.

A slotted headstock would be fine. It would be a different look for a steel string. I for sure want the electronics built in already. I'd rather not have to do any adding later.

As I've been playing this one and that one, I found that I play best on an old Yamaha classical. The string spacing is ideal for my hand and finger size. And I can still strum it smoothly.
Yea I keep coming back to mine. Your looking at a 2.05 nut with zero radiusing and a thick front to back neck.

My new classical came in with a 1.95 nut and the front to back width of a steel string. And no truss rod. Taylor I know on there hybrid guitars puts a truss rod in them even running nylon strings. I figure they do that when they make the neck thinner. Not so rah rah about the lack of a truss rod with that narrow neck but it is fun to play.
Going to first try black nylon, and bronze bass strings and see where that takes the sound. I used to play those in the 70's. Back then I played them because I liked the color. I thought black was a cool look on my guitar. Not everybody had that. But now I hear the trebbles are brighter, and the basses should be brighter too. Ideally I would like to get close to the sound of a steel string from it but with softer edges to the sound. Saw one guy nail that kind of sound using electronics. He published his 4eq settings.

reiver

Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:36 pm

Andy

You might find the new Takamine TF740FS interesting. It is a steel string electro-acoustic designed for fingerstyle, with a wider neck (48mm at the nut), cedar top, mahogany B&S, 12 frets to the body and slotted headstock.

r

AndyT

Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:40 am

Reiver,
Thanks! I'm already a Takamine fan and this one looks great. Right up my alley. It comes out in January I guess so I'll have to get the local store to order one so I can play it. I wonder what it's going to cost.

Right now, I'm in a tossup over a CA, or the Tak. I really love the CA all composite construction. No temp changes to worry about and its waterproof. Not the strings, or electronics, but you get the point. The Tak has the neck size I'm looking for and its a steel string. All good points in its favor.

Really gotta play these two side by side.

quincy451

Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:53 am

AndyT wrote:
Reiver,
Thanks! I'm already a Takamine fan and this one looks great. Right up my alley. It comes out in January I guess so I'll have to get the local store to order one so I can play it. I wonder what it's going to cost.

Right now, I'm in a tossup over a CA, or the Tak. I really love the CA all composite construction. No temp changes to worry about and its waterproof. Not the strings, or electronics, but you get the point. The Tak has the neck size I'm looking for and its a steel string. All good points in its favor.

Really gotta play these two side by side.
It is listed for $2079.00 here:
http://www.lamusic.ca/Takamine-TF740FS-p/tf740fs.htm
But they got the picture wrong. A UK site listed the price as POA...whcih I guess means price on arrival. They had better pictures of it which they took at the factory. They are going take more when they get the instrument.

Might also look at somethng like troubleclefs backup guitar. The Martin 000-17s. I know it is steel string, but not much idea about
the neck at the nut. it obviously has a slotted headstock. This
is the instrument that introduced these guitars to me. For I thought
slotted headstock meant nylon. Not so fast grass hopper, troubleclef set me straight on that. Now these instruments can be hard to find, and don't know how you feel about a used instrument. Personally I think some good deals can be found and it can be good for the sound
of the instrument. But me I like new.

http://www.youtube.com/user/troubleclef ... v5cH7UaNLk

AndyT

Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:55 am

Wow! Thats about $2000 out of my price range! LOL
I can see I need to do some saving up for this...

I have no problem with used as long as I get to see and play it first, or if the price is really good.

Catman

Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:57 am

POA = Price on Application, i.e. CALL

Andy, let me know how the CA sounds. Being a geek, the technology interests me. But can they get a good sound from the composite materials? Obviously, it isn't a bad tone, because they are selling, and they ain't cheap. But does the tone compete with your Takamine, or a Taylor (still intend to get one)?

AndyT

Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:35 am

The CA suprisingly has a nice smooth sound. Very mellow when played softly and when strummed hard it has a lot of punch and projection. A really nice guitar. Its in the same 2k price range. A friend of mine has one. He's a fingerstyle player and loves it. Of course he has these long skinny fingers too...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic