Problem with file format for youtube upload - PROBLEM SOLVED

jayswett

Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:08 pm

willem wrote:
heyjoe wrote:
willem

I'm wondering, if you use a converter, does it effect the quality of the video in any way?

Joe
I realy don't know,,maybe Jay can try it, he knows the qaulity of his vid without convert it..
No change that I could discern with converting from a moviemaker file to a wmv file. Having said that, the quality of my video is pretty lousy in general, so I'm not sure if a change would be as evident relative to a video which in its orginal state has much better resolution.

AcousticAl

Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:06 am

If I record with my webcam, then I need to import and re-export the file in MovieMaker. When I do this, there is a noticable loss of quality in the video (speaking as an editor). But it's totally acceptable quality for TG's purposes.

Music Junkie

Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:19 am

AL: If you are recording with your webcam, can't you just tell it what format you want to save your files in? My Logitech will wet me choose between .avi or .wmv (actually it shoots HD too, so there is an option for mp4 as well). Both are compatible with YT uploads, so you can just send them directly there with no middle man....

May be different with your cam though...

MJ

AcousticAl

Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:13 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
AL: If you are recording with your webcam, can't you just tell it what format you want to save your files in? My Logitech will wet me choose between .avi or .wmv (actually it shoots HD too, so there is an option for mp4 as well). Both are compatible with YT uploads, so you can just send them directly there with no middle man....

May be different with your cam though...

MJ
Good question, MJ. I didn't go into why I had to do the MM extra step, as I didn't know if people would be interested. I have a problem with audio sync and youtube when I try to upload a raw webcam file. Here's a more detailed explanation that I posted in the Techies Group a while back.

I had a problem with my videos at first. I would record them using my webcam and everything seemed ok when watching it back on my computer. I then uploaded the file to youtube and when I played it back, it was out of sync. The video was delayed behind the audio. After a bit of searching, I found out that it has something to do with youtube not having the same compression codecs as I was using on my computer. That basically means that they couldn't read my file properly. What I had to do was-- import the file into MovieMaker- then re-export it (re-save it) as a new file name. I guess this process re-did the codecs- as it worked fine on youtube after that. I have a pretty detailed explanation on how to use Moviemaker for compression in another posting called 'Compression Tips Using Windows MovieMaker'.

Music Junkie

Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:57 pm

Gotcha.... That certainly can be a problem. For no other reason that personal preference, I prefer to use the .avi format. I use another free tool called VirtualDub to uncompress and then re-compress my .avi files if it is necessary (luckily I don't have to do it all that often). Works wonders on keeping things in sync. There are so many tools out there, it is just a matter of learning a few of them and getting used to them.

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic