Problem with file format for youtube upload - PROBLEM SOLVED

jayswett

Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:00 am

I have been working diligently to improve the quality of my videos. I just finished creating a video, using audacity for the audio, my webcam for the video, and Windows Moviemaker to combine the two. It was actually pretty easy, but the problem is that youtube does not accept the file format created by windows moviemaker. Is there a program out there that will allow me to convert my moviemaker file to something accepted by youtube? I will check the techies group to see if this question has already been addressed. Thanks in advance.

heyjoe

Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:04 am

hi jay

Can you tell us please what format you saved it to on your computer?

This is purely from memory but when you come to save/publish your video, use the "publish to email" option, it will ask if you want to save a copy to your computer, say yes and it will save as a .wav file.

You can use .wav files on youtube.

Hope this helps

Joe

willem

Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:11 am

Jay,, i use anyvideoconverter to convert WMV to AVI(GOOD FOR YOU TUBE),, this programma is a free download,, go to any-video-converter.com..

heyjoe

Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:12 am

willem

I'm wondering, if you use a converter, does it effect the quality of the video in any way?

Joe

AcousticAl

Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:32 am

Hi Jay,

Need to know what format and settings you're using to try to help. I do have a general Movie Maker post that you'll find in the root directory of the Techies Group.. but it's more on re-exporting and making huge file sizes smaller.

There's also a post on what youtube likes for file formats.

Music Junkie

Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:03 am

Jay:

My guess is you used the command "Save project As" and you have a file with the extension .MSWMM..... If this is the case, just open your file in Windows Movie Maker and instead of choosing that option, choose the option "Save Movie File". From there choose to save to your computer and then give it a name and a location. Then you can choose a quality. Usually the option "best quality for my computer" is fine, but you can mess with it if you want. When you are done, and it makes the file, it should be in .wmv format which is easily uploaded to YT....

Hope that helps!

MJ

willem

Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:01 am

heyjoe wrote:
willem

I'm wondering, if you use a converter, does it effect the quality of the video in any way?

Joe
I realy don't know,,maybe Jay can try it, he knows the qaulity of his vid without convert it..

jayswett

Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:34 am

Thanks. Great info from all of you. When I return home today, I will investigate further. I suspect MJ is correct in that I have to believe Windows Moviemaker has a means to save files in formats other than MSWMM. I will try his suggestion first, and try the conversion software if that doesn't work.

For those of you who use windows based computers, Moviemaker may be something to investigate for editing your video files. It's free with Windows XP and Vista, and for my fairly simple needs, has everything that I would ask for in video editing software (that is, if I can the file in a format easily uploadable to youtube). I am not computer savvy in any way, but found this program relatively easy to learn. Audacity was also manageable.

Anyway, I will give an update tonight when I arrive home regarding how I managed to deal with this problem. Hopefully, will be able to upload a video tonight.

Music Junkie

Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:15 pm

Jay if you are getting the MSWMM formats, then it will be a very simple fix as I listed above. I know because I did the same thing when first working with Movie Maker. You are right, for a built-in program, it is very nice. Good luck and if you have any more problems, give a yell.

MJ

jayswett

Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:21 pm

Thanks again for everyone's help. Moviemaker files are definitely NOT youtube compatible, but as it turns out Moviemaker does allow for "publishing" the files (saving to your hard drive) as wmv files which are youtube compatible. When saving your Moviemaker "project", it is saved as a mswmm file, but to "publish" your video, follow the prompts to save as a wmv file. Pretty simple. I didn't need to download any converters. All could be done through Moviemaker itself.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic