Please explain Guitar Pro to me

quincy451

Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:04 pm

Ok you play from chord charts or something close to that. There is a player on youtube who does that a lot. Heck that is about all he does on there.

4 notes move to the next measure? Yea if you place four quarter notes it will move to next measure if you are in 4/4 time which is most likely the default. Look for 1/8 or 1/16 notes if you want to place more. Yea this thing is going to corrupt your world. For you are going to understand something of tab and something of music notation.

Don't feel to frustrated I hear tell Edgar Cruz will spent up to 9 months with it working on one tab.

mrdano

Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:11 pm

GP is indeed a pretty nice piece of software, a must have in my configuration. I tend to use it quiet often to download midi files, mute all the tracks except the drums and have myself a nice little backing track.

Dano

Chasplaya

Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:01 pm

dennisg wrote:
As a follow-up to this discussion, I downloaded the demo version of GP and found it to have a tremendous amount of useful potential, while at the same time being extremely complicated to learn. I'm a fairly computer-savvy person, so I was able to start placing notes on a tab. After 4 notes, naturally it wanted to move me to the next measure, which I didn't want, but I imagine I could figure all that out if I were inclined to spend some time with it.

I'm debating whether or not to buy it. It may just be that I'd get my money's worth if I did nothing with it but import tabs. The real question in my mind is if I'll actually use tabs in order to learn how to play songs.

I'd never seen a tab until I came to TG. I understand them in principle, but deciphering them takes some time for me. Until now, I've always just looked at the chords, pictured the music in my head, and just started playing and embellishing, sort of what I did on "For no one." I'm not asserting that's the right way to do things, just that it's what I've done so far. If you have specific queries ask away, rather than me trying to write a manual here lol

- Dennis
Its been a while since I did the demo version, but its my understanding it doesn't come with the RSE component, RSE = realsitic Sound Engine , this makes the difference in using the player it replicates hundreds of sounds reasonably close e.g. it has Les Pauls and Strat sounds which you can arrange through numerous Amp set ups all on the one bit of software. It has Electro Acoustic, Steel string , Nylon string, various keyboard sounds , grand piano the list goes on.. Plus you can layer multi tracks and create a big band sound. Options are huge.

As for getting more notes it sticks mostly to only permitting that which can happen with standard notation , i.e. it won't allow you to breach the rules for music notation even in tab, whioh is good.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic