Take that amp and stick it ...

dennisg

Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:20 pm

... in a trans-Atlantic crate.

Not since The Who won a battle-of-the-bands competition over a bunch of 9-years-olds has a competition been this one-sided. Believe me, this is not at all meant to disparage anyone else's entry in the Free Amp Giveaway (in fact, there were some extremely creative submissions), it's just that Reiver's entry towered over everyone else's.

Why? First, he managed to do the number one thing on my list: make it funny. And it's no easy thing to make me laugh. Second, it was totally unique to what everyone else did. That always scores points with me. And third, it incorporated the elements we come to this site for: music and guitar playing.

Put those three things together and you can see why I (and most everyone else) felt that Reiver's entry was a clear winner.

I made a promise to myself that I would go the entire week without commenting on everyone else's entry and, for the most part, I succeeded. But it was difficult. I fought the urge to PM people to tell them how much I enjoyed their submissions. And I enjoyed a lot of them. Even the ones that broke the 100-word limit by, oh, about 500 words.

Now, about that trans-Atlantic crate

We can officially make that a trans-Pacific crate, because Reiver has generously donated the Behringer amp to AndyT in Hawaii for use with his kids. You've gotta like that! Now I won't have to worry about breaking the news to the winner that the amp's voltage is incompatible with what's leaking out of the walls in the rest of the world.

Thanks to everyone who entered. It was a lot of fun. And if you haven't yet seen Reiver's winning contest entry, just mosey on over to the FREE AMP thread and see for yourself why, for possibly the first time in my life, I exercised actual good judgement.

- Dennis

Lavallee

Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:24 pm

That was very nice of you Dennis to make that contest.

Marc

Chasplaya

Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:50 pm

Great contest Dennis, and a big round of applause for Reiver, easily well deserved and hey even bigger donating it to such a great cause for Andy's classes with kids.

Kar.... oops pizza points to you both lol

Now Andy will have to post a vid of his kids using it with him playing lead lol

tovo

Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:00 pm

Kudos to you Dennis for your generosity, congrats to Reiver for a brilliant entry and for a very nice gesture, I'm sure Andy will put it to good use.

reiver

Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:20 pm

A couple of thank yous from me, firstly to Dennis for his generosity in putting the amp up as a prize, and secondly to everyone who made such kind comments on my wee song. I resisted the urge to thank people at the time because I didn't want to clutter up the competition thread, but they were all very kindly received. I have no doubt that Andy will put the amp to better use than I would.

BigBear

Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:32 pm

Dennis- here's a really dumb question but does that amp have international voltage? As I recall, Scotland uses 220/240 volt, 50 hz and that amp is wired for 110/120v 60 hz. Reiver may have to run it through a step down converter. Just a thought!

AndyT

Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:34 pm

Reiver did a really great job on the video. I liked it as much as everyone else. I was pretty sure he was going to win unless I could come up with something better in a really short amount of time. but when I saw it I knew he was going to win.

But then I saw how much real character Reiver has when I logged in the other day and found a PM from him. He had seen the video I posted of my students and decided he wanted to donate the amp to me to use with them. Wow. I was floored. Such a great thing to do. Of course, I immediately asked my Boss to pour out some huge blessings on Reiver and his family. I have been blessed by TG in many ways and this is just another example of how great the people here really are.

I have to add kudos and a party pack of pizza for Dennis as well. It was his generosity in the first place that allowed all of this to happen! And I'm also putting in a good word for him to my Boss as well.

Praise God.

Chasplaya

Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:47 pm

BigBear wrote:
Dennis- here's a really dumb question but does that amp have international voltage? As I recall, Scotland uses 220/240 volt, 50 hz and that amp is wired for 110/120v 60 hz. Reiver may have to run it through a step down converter. Just a thought!
Bear bear we do despair
Read the thread and all will be clear.

Reivers entry the best by far
Won him the comp beating us all square and fair (poetic license)

With a stroke of the keys and no beating of the bush, forthwith
Reivers dispelled that old Scottish myth

Scots are not mean
As can clearly be seen

The Amps gone to Andy
And will come in real handy

By spreading the word
About your good Lord

AndyT

Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:52 pm

:laugh: LMBO! :laugh:
Good one Chas! I was just wondering if Rick had taken his meds today.

jayswett

Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:14 pm

Everyday, this website gets better and better. I'm impressed more and more with the people who run it, and those who contribute so much on a daily basis.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic