What are your "Guitar Goals" for 2010?

willem

Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:26 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
mattroutley wrote:
My goal?

For my wife to hear me playing and go 'Oh my God, you're amazing! Take me to bed now!!'

:laugh:
Lol Good one, I have the same goal except its my wife not yours lol
Groupy's he..

willem

Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:28 pm

hasben wrote:
Very good question!

1. Learn to hold the pick correctly.

2. Learn to hold the pick firmly enough not to drop it down the hole.

3. Learn to hold the pick lightly enough that I can actually strum instead of jab the strings.

4. Think of the many other aspects of playing other than the pick-- like making music.

5. Pick another problem for 2011.

:S
Good picks this one..

dennisg

Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:46 pm

My goal is to play the guitar for Matt's wife.

But seriously, folks: I really only have one goal, and that's to enjoy guitar playing next year even more than I did this year. There are a lot of things I can do to make that happen, like learning more songs, becoming proficient at songs that take me out of my comfort zone, and understanding more about music theory.

I've really only been playing for two months -- after a 35-year hiatus -- but I'm enjoying it more than I ever have, and it's all due to this site.

- Dennis

pickstroke

Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:25 pm

I'm new to the forum so let me introduce myself. My name is Tim and I'm 53 years old. I've been playing guitar since my early twenties but I consider myself to be an intermediate player.
I've never had formal guitar instruction but I'm going to begin taking instructions in January from Mark. Mark has been inducted into the Blues Musicians Hall of Fame and I'm anxious to learn what he has to teach me. He has a degree in guitar and focuses on Guitar Theory and learning how to solo up and down the neck. You can listen to him play on Youtube. This is what I want to do and my goal for 2010 is to solo with confidence.

dennisg

Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:40 pm

pickstroke wrote:
[quote]I'm new to the forum so let me introduce myself. My name is Tim and I'm 53 years old. I've been playing guitar since my early twenties but I consider myself to be an intermediate player.
I've never had formal guitar instruction but I'm going to begin taking instructions in January from Mark . Mark has been inducted into the Blues Musicians Hall of Fame and I'm anxious to learn what he has to teach me. He has a degree in guitar and focuses on Guitar Theory and learning how to solo up and down the neck. You can listen to him play on Youtube. This is what I want to do and my goal for 2010 is to solo with confidence.

Hi pickstroke,

Welcome to the TG web site. Learning to be a better guitarist is certainly a worthy goal, and I realize that this is your first post, but I should tell you that TG.com exists (in part) to provide exactly the kind of benefits you're hoping to get from your instructor. So, in the view of this site's management, I expect they'll see your post as promoting a competitor to this site.

- Dennis

pickstroke

Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:44 pm

Hey Dennis,

Thanks for the input. I don't know how a guy that provides one on one guitar instruction out of a room in Texarkana, Texas can be competing with this or any website but I'll take your word for it.

Further, if that is the type of paranoia that exists here then I promise you that this will be my last post and my last visit to TG.

Thanks for the heads up.

Tim

dennisg

Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:14 pm

pickstroke,

I'll bet that if you step back, take a deep breath and think about this, it'll occur to you that this site sells guitar lessons. If enough visitors to this site promote private guitar instructors at various locales around the world, then many viewers of those posts might be tempted to avail themselves of those services instead of subscribing to this site. If you want to consider that far-fetched and paranoiac, you're entitled. And if you want to make your previous post your last one, you're entitled to that, too. But I would urge you to stick around and see for yourself what this site has to offer that you can't get anywhere else.

There are thousands of guitar players of various abilities from all over the globe who've chosen to make this the place where they get their guitar instruction. They're here because the amount of value they get is laughably disproportionate to the paltry subscription fees. And they're here because there's a large, supportive community of people ready to provide help at every turn. That's why I'd recommend that you don't go storming away in a petulant huff. This is a good place to be. And the fine folks who run this place have every right to expect that visitors aren't going to promote ways to siphon money away -- no matter how remote the possibility seems to you.

- Dennis

TGMatt

Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:40 pm

pickstroke wrote:
Hey Dennis,

Thanks for the input. I don't know how a guy that provides one on one guitar instruction out of a room in Texarkana, Texas can be competing with this or any website but I'll take your word for it.

Further, if that is the type of paranoia that exists here then I promise you that this will be my last post and my last visit to TG.

Thanks for the heads up.

Tim
Hey Tim

Nice to have you onboard/...

Their is no issue whatsoever for you discussing your teacher or posting a link to him...we have a different set of rules though for linking to sites that do actually compete and sell stuff I'm sure you understand that angle mate

Otherwise were all good..

Welcome aboard again, looking forward to hearing about your teaching experiences..

TGMatt

Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:45 pm

oh and one of the truly great things I appreciate about this site..and these members, is they are protective..We funnel all of our efforts and energies into providing stuff for our community...I wake up every day and spend time about how to do that in better ways and in quicker ways..

I think you will find Tim, that the folk here are a class above here...and that is something worth mothering a little, all though from time to time we all get a touch paranoid :dry: including me ...

But we are here for you I can guarantee you that...I can also let you in on a little secret..we will be having some new lead stuff introduced here next year..just need to take a break for a few days over Christmas..

So Tim, Welcome. Dennis as always , thx for being around..lets go and sing Kombayah..oh its nto a lesson yet ...gotta fix that one.. :silly:

Cheers

dennisg

Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:49 pm

Tim,

The regulars here would probably really appreciate it if you'd mosey on over to the Please Introduce Yourself thread, and give us some details about your background and guitar-playing history. And don't be surprised if you get a very warm welcome.

- Dennis

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic