Guitar tab or by ear

mark

Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:56 am

yes chas has it right here.
The example given shows 8th and 16th notes. There are no triplets there.

A triplet would be 3 notes played evenly within one beat.

I think the main point is that guitar pro can provide all the timing information that standard notation does.
I didn't know that the timing information could be turned on and off. This is probably why some people are not aware of it.

AndyT

Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:05 am

Ok, I'm confused.

4/4 time. That means a quarter note is one beat.

Eigth note = 1/2 beat
16th note = 1/4 beat

In group 1 we have 2 eight notes. Thats one beat. Doublet?
In groups 2,3,4 we have one eight note and two 16th notes. Each group is one beat. So we have multiple notes within one beat. Ok, they are not 3 equal notes, so they are not triplets, but they are still all in the space of 1 beat. So what are they?

mark

Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:41 am

I think they are exactly as you say

Group 1 is two eigth notes
Groups 2,3 and 4 are two sixteeth notes and an eigth note

I don't think any additional description is needed (they wouldn't be described as duplets or triplets)

A triplet is just another time value (just like eigth notes or sixteenths)
One eighth note triplet has the time value of one third of an eigth note. So 3 eighth note triplets make up one eigth note.

I think the confusion is that you are giving the name duplet or triplet to represent how many notes there are in a beat which you don't need to do.

I hope this helps to clear up the confusion and doesn't just muddy the waters.

AcousticAl

Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:24 am

Ok, I agree with Chas and Mark and my question I think has been answered: the timing info in the TAB portion contains all of the same information as the score portion (though, to see the time signature explicitly, you do have to glance at the score).

I'm going to have to differ with Mark on one point, though, because Neil actually answered one of my questions in the latest TG Live for TARGET members regarding 8th note triplets. Mark says:
One eighth note triplet has the time value of one third of an eigth note. So 3 eighth note triplets make up one eigth note.
Actually, the 3 notes of an 8th note triplet take up the same amount of time as 2 8th notes: 1/4 note. They are indicated by a little '3' in swoosh over the grouping -- there's not a single triplet in the GP photos. So, each individual note is played as 1/3 of a quarter note, i.e., a little bit faster than a standard 1/8th note. Take a look at the latest TG Live for TARGET members (not the *most* recent, the one before). Neil makes clear the difference between a true triplet and playing, say, two 16ths+one 8th to take up a beat.

I'll also add that none of this makes learning score any less valuable: there's so much music in score only, and TAB is obviously instrument specific. But, at least with GP (and other books I have at least), you do have all the timing info from TAB as you get from a score of the same music.

Cheers.

Chasplaya

Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:46 am

mark wrote:

Which camp are you in, or can you do both?
If you are in one camp do you wish you could do the other?
To answer Mark's original question (now that the tangent seems to be more or less sorted) -- I'm with you, Mark. I lean by far more heavily having the music -- and I truly envy those that can listen to a song and sort it out by ear. I can pick out a melody pretty well, but assembling the right chords and building an arrangement is largely trial and error.

I have a good friend who, if he knows the song decently, can sit and just play the song in his head and figure out the song on the guitar in just few minutes. Similarly, my guitar teacher can literally write down a song in TAB as its playing in more or less real time (obviously, within some limits...). He can hear all of the subtle notes, the pull-offs, slides, etc, seemingly immediately. And he can distinguish the same chord in different voicings.. its amazing, and is something I truly hope to get to someday.

mark

Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:26 am

fjvdb wrote:
I'm going to have to differ with Mark on one point, though, because Neil actually answered one of my questions in the latest TG Live for TARGET members regarding 8th note triplets. Mark says:
Actually, the 3 notes of an 8th note triplet take up the same amount of time as 2 8th notes: 1/4 note.
yes you are right I should have said

One eighth note triplet has the time value of one third of a quarter note. So 3 eighth note triplets make up one quarter note.

Catman

Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:52 am

Fancy TAB programs like Guitar Pro, and others, can display almost full timing information.

But TAB was born in the ASCII format (you know, write it with a text editor) and in the ASCII format, timing information is very, very rudimentary.

David

wadestar

Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:11 pm

I just checked out guitar pro awsome, I did not get to the end to see the price. No money for a new toy at this time anyway. But when I started to play there was no "tab" just sheet music So I learned a lot from ear & by watching, I later started to buy guitar mags with tab I still need to hear it then try to play, the tab just puts me in the right spot. So it really starts by ear for me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic