Finger Picking fingering question

frybaby

Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:39 am

Finger Picking Question:

Neil commented in one of his videos on a finger picking pattern (which may be Travis picking).
He recommended playing the pattern with alternating thumb.

I have been working on this patterns but using other fingers.(using the index finger instead of alternation the thumb).

I was wondering if one is considered more correct, or more advantageous that the other..

The patterns are described below using basic 3 finger D chord.

D Chord (where numbers represent frets)
________ 2__________________________________

Neil’s recommended pattern ( T=thumb, M=middle finger, R=ring finger
_________ M__________________________________
___________________ R________________________

Alternate fingering
____________M___________________________________
______________________R__________________________

johnrfeeney

Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:10 am

generally the alternating thumb is one the (low)E A D - the alternate is usually what is done

Lavallee

Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:12 am

Hi Frybaby, I think you will always find alternative methods instead of a prefered method.

I am not sure here if you are suggesting not to alternate the strings with the thumb because you find it difficult and you developped this approach instead or if you comfortable with both approach and find individual fingering as you suggested as good or better.

When I began fingerpicking, I was using the individual finger approach as you suggested. When I started following TG I realize the importance of having idendependance of the thumb is important.

For example in travis picking you want to hear the base notes clearly. When you hit the fat strings with your thumb it will have a deeper intensity because you can hit stronger with the thumb on a down stroke. The next base note if you are using your index will be an upstroke thus varying the intensity. To compensate you will have to "calibrate " your index to hit harder to even out the sound, distracting you from focusing on a steady beat.

I suggest strongly that you work on alternating the bases with the thumb. When you will be comfortable with it , you will definitely see the benefits and will not look back. Dust in the wind should an obvious song where you would notice it. Another one is Babe I'm gonna leave you (easier to learn on that one).

Marc

mark

Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:49 am

Like Marc said you should really work on using the thumb for doing the alternating bass. You will get a much stronger sound that way.

A couple of trivial points about your post.

Normally in diagrams or tab the strings would be the opposite way around to the way you have shown them. Thats with the high E (thinnest string at the top)

If playing alternating bass on a D chord, Neil would recommend using the index finger on the second string and the middle finger on the first string. It's what he calls the "shifted" position

frybaby

Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:22 pm

Based on the comments above, I think you gentlemen are correct. alternating base notes with thumb sound like the way to go on this one. Thank you.

Also Mark, thanks for the reminder on tab notation.
Regarding shifted position, are you meaning that it is shifted to use index in stead of the thumb only when the chord involves strings 1-2-3 and 4, otherwise the thumb would be used to strike the second string that is use as the alternating base?

And finally, as I stated above I been playing with the index finger to strike the second base note for a while and have it down where I am relatively comfortable. I was experimenting with both to see if I could find pro and con.

The con to the alternating thumb would be starting over and getting it down, but I think it will be worth the effort for sure based on the comments.

However one thing I did notice is it seems that the index finger for second base note approach, (given that a person had equal skill at executing both) would allow the patter to be played faster. Given that the index finger seem to be able to bet to the note faster.

dennisg

Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:00 pm

fry,

My personal feeling is that it just makes more sense to play bass notes with your thumb, given the position of your thumb relative to the bass strings. I'm very used to doing what guitar players historically have called double-thumbing, and I think it's always been done that way because it leaves the other fingers free (and in position) to strike the treble strings easily.

- Dennis

wiley

Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:09 pm

mark

Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:20 pm

frybaby wrote:
Regarding shifted position, are you meaning that it is shifted to use index in stead of the thumb only when the chord involves strings 1-2-3 and 4, otherwise the thumb would be used to strike the second string that is use as the alternating base?
The shifted position still makes use of the thumb for two bass notes (4th and 3rd string) but only uses the first finger (to play the second string) and the second finger (to play the first string).
Neil talks about this in quite a lot of his videos. Unfortunately I can't think of a specific one.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic