What if nobody could hear?

tovo

Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:05 pm

What if nobody could hear you play, not ever? Would you still do it? We all say that we play for our own enjoyment and I don't doubt that, but how much do we play for the enjoyment of others, or the kudos that comes from playing well? (hopefully well).

I remember Terry Newton's story (Where are you Terry??) about playing Classical Gas in front of friends and how impressed they all were. That's cool, and would anyone say that they don't get a kick out of being admired for their playing? (For newer members, do yourself a favour and check out Terry's performance, it's great and it's in student videos for review)

So I guess the question is how much you play for yourself and how much for other people?

Happy Christmas by the way.

Chasplaya

Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:03 pm

Good question Tony, I play predominantly just for me, but yes on occasion I play for others and yes I do get a kick out of the appreciation shown (on those occasions they are not throwing rotten tomatoes (tomato for Bear) Of late I am getting into the band thing more and more so things may change.

songman52

Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:06 pm

Merry Christmas all.
Interesting question. Yes, I suppose I would still play, but might not put as much practice into it. Since I sing and whistle when I'm oblivious to other's presence (sometimes) then I'm sure I would still play.

Hope everyone is having a good holiday.

Jerry

michelew

Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:21 pm

I mostly play for myself at the moment, but I absolutely love it when my partner say 'that sounds great' or something along those lines. I do enjoy playing for myself and the sense of accomplishment as well and the relaxation, the joy, the calmness, the emotion..... Having said that I guess I'm aiming to improve to the point where I can play in front of people and play well. So I can't really answer your question with certainty, but if I was stuck on a desert island by myself I would absolutely want to have my guitar (and tuner) with me and an endless supply of strings (and all the paraphernalia that goes with keeping a guitar in working condition) and my sheet music .....oh and still have access to TG ... guess I don't really want to be stuck on an island without all the trappings of my life ... oh and can I take my partner too please?

michelew

Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:22 pm

I forgot to say Merry Christmas too. I hope you're enjoying time with your loved ones.

reiver

Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:56 pm

I absolutely and totally play for myself. Until I joined this site no-one else had heard me play for about 25 years. I do not enjoy playing in front of others now - that's one of the things that makes going into a music shop and picking up a guitar very difficult for me. My parents are in their 80s and have never heard me play.

r

AndyT

Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:05 pm

Reiver,
You should play for them. It does not matter how well you play. They will love that you shared something of yourself with them.

haoli25

Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:08 pm

Another good question Tony.

I must admit that I rarely play for others. I truly do play for my own enjoyment and escape. After all of these years I still enjoy learning, practicing, and playing, but I just prefer to keep it to myself.

Bill

tovo

Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:20 pm

It's more or less as I though, we have extroverted and more naturally introverted people here on the site. I'm certainly not suggesting one personality type is better than the other, but it is interesting to me that someone who prefers to play alone without an audience is still inclined to post a video for review, knowing that a lot of people are going to see it. I think that knowing the supportive nature of the site really helps in that regard. Just an observation; a little off topic I guess...

willem

Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:53 am

Merry ........., well i play (practice)everyday and that is my enjoymend,,but when i know and can play a song i love to play it under friends and when they go and sing on my playing i get very happy,,it is not for to admire me but i want to shared it and have fun...sometimes i be so nervus i do everything wrong so i know that stages is nothing for me..... i keep it for my self and friends,,, or .........dream.....dream......dream,,,,,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic