Acoustic Electric Guitars

hoomlmark

Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:36 pm

Hi Fellow Guitar Slingers,

I am ready to purchase a higher end guitar, Martin, Taylor, etc. I am of the opinion that the acoustic electric setup is my best bet. I like the idea of amplification and have never really be satisfied with any after market pickup I have installed. Problem is, I really would prefer a used guitar in great shape and it appears the coolest electronics can only be found in guitars going by 6-7 years. So, I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Am I wrong to have so much faith in the modern electronics. Are there after market options that can offer the same quality as the built in pre-amps? What do you think? Thanks Mike

wadestar

Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:51 pm

Yes I like it as well, I do not think I will go back to no electronics simply because I can do so much more with it, unplugged or plugged plus all the different setting on the amp love it. I am looking into a stomp box that has a good loop on it, just to add more fun.

BigBear

Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:39 pm

Mike- I have both factory and after market electronics installed in my guitars. I think in general factory setups are fine with the higher end makers. It's no secret on this forum, and the source of endless jokes, that I am a big Taylor fan. That in no way implies that other brands aren't good as well but my expereince with Taylor has been nothing short of outstanding. I simply love the brilliant tone and build quality of Taylor guitars.

One of my Taylors has their Expression system in it and it works well. It also has a very clean installation that looks good on the intrument. Their newer electronincs only have three visable knobs which is really cool!

My Larrivee L-10 has factory electronics that are good but not great and I have spent some money to get them to work right. I am very happy with the guitar but the electronics are not very impressive.

With my Taylor 855 twleve string I bought it without electronics. I recently installed a K&K Pure Mini system that was recommended to me by Eric Tingstad of Tingstad and Rumbel fame. I am blown away by the sound of this pickup system. I paid almost $200 for the pickup and install but it is worth every penny. significantly better than the factory sound out of either of my other guitars.

So, I believe your fear of aftermarket electronics in unfounded. I was told, and fully agree, that aftermarket pickup manufacturers are doing a great job and are easily the equal of factory hardware if not better because you get to install the system that meets your needs and not just the system the factory got a great deal on.

Check out the reviews on K&K and you will find I am not alone in my delight of their system. It really makes my big Taylor sing!!

Good luck and cheers! :cheer:

goldleaf

Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:53 pm

Hoomlmark, you might check under "Communities" for the TG Group showing a Guild Limited series CV-1C Model. You can see pictures and all the specs. about this 2007 model made in Tacoma WA. I have several different models of the "Guild Contemporary Series" made only for about 6 months. The CV-1C is made with Solid Spruce top and Indian Rosewood sides & back, bone nut & saddle ivarone binding and nice inlay at a price of $1,850. The electronics are all internal with no cutout on the side, they are accessed from the sound hole. Let me know if you have any questions. Gary

AndyT

Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:17 am

Mike,
I added a pickup to my Takamine because I really wanted one and because I needed it. Nice when those two things collide.

I purchased an aftermarket pickup very inexpensively and while it lacks a few things like an EQ and phase or notch filters, it still more than does that job outstandingly well.

I would be happier with a guitar that has a built-in system though. If something was wrong with it I could get it fixed or simply replace it much easier that having to install a new one all over again.

I would say the majority of guitars with built-in systems are worth it. Take your time and check them out. Take note of features you want and need and get the best one you can afford.

And the K&K system Bear mentioned is very high quality.

hasben

Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:49 am

Hi all and Happy Holidays,

I have a L. R. Baggs pickup that came with my Martin D-15 (bought on ebay several years ago) I bought a cheap amp, tried it out, and stored it in the attic. Now that I have returned to the guitar-- thanks to Neil-- I have a question or two. Is the Baggs pickup a semi-good quality brand? If so, any suggestion for a quality amp?
Thanks, Fred (in Muskogee)

haoli25

Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:32 am

Hi Fred. Yes, I think the Baggs pickups are pretty good. I don't think I would change, or at least not just yet.

As for the amp, BigBear(Rick) bought a Roland Cube 20X on eBay for a very good price. He had nothing but good things to say about it, sooooo,
I gave eBay a shot too and I came up with a Roland Cube 30X (30 watt version)for about 1/3 of the retail price. It was new, in the box, and I have been very pleased with it. A lot of great effects are built into the unit. It is small, lightweight, and sounds great. You might check out some of the reviews on some of the big online guitar stores, then once you have made a choice, shop around on eBay or Craigslist and find yourself a good deal.

Bill

hasben

Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:38 am

Thanks Bill,

I didn't know if the "tinny" sounds coming out of the amp was the pickup, the amp... or me. Will do some scouting for a new amp.
Gracias, Fred

goldleaf

Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:35 pm

Bill, I have a Roland 30 Cube also. It pretty much does all that I want, plus it is surprisingly light for an amp that I can entertain my neighborhood (w/ my electric guitar). It also has a switch where it cuts the sound down to like 5 - 10% of volume so you can set all the different affects you want then push that button and you can play in your bedroom without disturbing those in the frontroom, an interesting feature. Gary

Chasplaya

Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:23 pm

Hi I use an Ashdown Amp its 100W but built specifically with Acoustics in mind therefore it sounds pretty darn good. Doesn't come with a lot of 'bells and whistles', hey we are trying to just amplify the nice acoustic sound in its purest form, so why would you want to change that, my opinion anyway.

Have fun searching, take your own guitar with you to try various amps out different guitars can sound totally different, then you get home an oops doesn't quite sound like in the shop using that other (Taylor) just cos they had no Cole Clarks lol!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic