Guitar string names

frybaby

Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:41 pm

This might be more of a theory question, but I was wondering how and why it was decided the guitar should be strung with the strings tuned to E-A-D-G-B-E, and why is the B siring 1/2 different in it relationship to the G string that all the rest. All except for the B string are tuned to a forth interval (or 5 half step) of the preceeding string until you get to the B string which is an interval of 4 half steps. ie starting with string 6 E the next string is a forth of E namely A. and so on.

Also I was looking for suggestion on a phrase that could help one remember the string names. As is done with E very - G ood - B oy - D oes - F ine, which is a memory to the line on music shee.

I came up with one for the Guitar, E at - A pple - D umplins - G rows - B ig - E ars.

Surely there is a better one out ther.

eagle670

Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:49 pm

Here's a couple!

Every Boy Goes Down And Eats

Easter Bunny Gets Drunk After Easter

Kevin

Catman

Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:57 pm

One explanation of why the standard tuning is the way it is can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_tun ... ard_tuning.

frybaby

Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Thanks Kevin, much better.

hasben

Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Kevin!!!!
B) :) :laugh: :cheer: ;) :P :unsure: :ohmy: :woohoo:

I see, you're working from the bottom up. I can't touch that but will certainly remember it.

frybaby

Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:01 pm

Thank Catman. I will check out wiki. I think my friend could remember the easter bunny Mnemonics a bit easier.

Chasplaya

Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:32 pm

E = Eric
B = Bill
G = George
D = Dave
A = Al
E = Ernie

E = Erin
B = Belinda
G = Gracie
D = Donna
A = Alice
E = Elizabeth

Music Junkie

Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:39 pm

Neil was asked this very question during a TG live a while back. He eluded to the fact that it could take several hours to explain the detailed version, but in short it had to do with overtones and, believe it or not, the ease of making chords. I have asked the question as well, but have never gotten a long version. i did discuss it with someone and we got into sine waves and the whole overtone thing. Sounded interesting, but time was not on our side.

MJ

hasben

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:29 pm

Thanks Catman, for the Wiki link. After looking it over I quickly realized there is more to this thing called music than I will ever understand. The guitar is truly a complicated instrument. And the broader subject of "music" reaches to the outer limits of science and art. Question to those more advanced: Why are some combinations of notes agreeable to us-- to our ears--(example: open chord C) than, say,
a dischordant combination? Any links for futher study?
Maybe I'm off subject here but the subject of what we as humans consider "good" (in tune) and what we might find disagreeable (noise) is very interesting to me. Any thoughts?
Esoterically yours, Fred from Muskogee

BobR

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:35 pm

Just to add to the Mnemonic stuff.

Hi e to low E
e very
B ig
G irl
D eserves
A n
E merald

And my favorite