Rate Yourself

tombo1230

Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:35 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
missy_megs wrote:
Perhaps it's exponential? The curve gets steeper as the numbers get higher?

I'm a 1! For everything. And proud of it! but I'm determined to leave my oneness behind and improve quickly! :laugh:

One is the loneliest number, Megs. I also doubt you're a one. I'd call 'Frodo' from the 'Ever suck at guitar' thread a one. You've GOT to be better than him, no?

:)

Gosh I'd hope so. So just by virtue of having ears to know when I'm hitting rotten notes and a metronome, I'm better off? I'll take that edge! I'm speedily headed to the land of twoness, thanks to common musical sense alone! :)

ncsurfer

Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:05 pm

I am definitely in the one category due to my bar chord struggles, but I am improving overall entirely because of Neil's lessons. I cannot tell you how excited I am about how far I've come in the time since I've joined. The forum community helps tremendously as well, my confidence is up and all your tips and encouragement for each other is very motivating.

I have had three different teachers over the years and never really connected. TG is exactly what I was looking for.

Most of the green category is probably within my reach right, though I haven't tried them all yet. Occasional forays into the intermediate have been paying benefits as well, though my family will dispute that, and the red category is at least a generation and a talent transplant away.

goldleaf

Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:06 pm

Tough question, Neil is a 10, I guess since I can play most of the songs, some not very well, other not well at all, I'd say a 4-5 since I have played for quite a few years and can strum and keep time pretty well. As far as theory, it goes down in that area. Gary

TGNeil

Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:11 pm

TGMatt wrote:
Im an 11
To paraphrase a (in)famous guitarist, "Matt's scale goes to 11!"

:)

michelew

Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:49 pm

Well by frybaby's scale I too am a 1 since I haven't mastered barre chords (one of my goals for this year). I can play them, but I can't change into and out of them consistently and well. I need heaps more practice. In fingerpicking I'm a little more than 1 I'm thinking....

Moondog

Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:54 pm

TGMatt wrote:
Im an 11

In my mind
I know an amp that goes to 11

Mike

michelew

Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:02 pm

Isn't Matt encouraging Neil to come up with songs that are 11s too? hhmm...

BigBear

Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:53 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
My rating varies, purely as a player sometimes a 6 mostly 3-4, now I presume this doesn't include theoretical ability as the question stated 'player' but if theory were to be included the numbers exponetially get lower! Now I know a lot of theory , understand it? ... nope not all as yet.

Also if Neil is a 10 as a player I consider that would be the ability to play complex pieces the ability to improvise in Jams etc as well as play lots of songs, now how good are we then at improvising I think thats a mark of a player the ability to improvise, play along comfortably in jams not necessarily knowing the song that well but still be able to recognise the Key and the strum etc and to be able to contribute meaningfully. I guess the ability to play all the Target songs doesn't necessarily make you a 10, it shows you can maybe copycat it doesn't mean you understand all the theory surrounding the song, it shows you can follow instructions , you have some technical ability, it doesn't make you a 10. e.g. some guys have played Classical Gas reasonably well on this site, but they are not 10's as players.

I want to improve my playing and my knowledge and understanding, not sure how you rate all three, my playing as a stand alone has improved outa sight since coming here, the knowledge and understanding has improved but not so much.

Chas- that was pretty philosophical for this late in the decade. I had to read it three times and then I went and got myself a stiff drink! Here's to you my friend! Happy New Year! :cheer:

BigBear

Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:56 pm

michelew wrote:
Well by frybaby's scale I too am a 1 since I haven't mastered barre chords (one of my goals for this year). I can play them, but I can't change into and out of them consistently and well. I need heaps more practice. In fingerpicking I'm a little more than 1 I'm thinking....

Michele- you a LOT better than a 1 ! Give yourself some credit girl, you have progressed magnificently!! Cheers to you and barre chords in 2010!! :laugh:

suziko

Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:43 pm

If Reiver rates himself a 2, than I must be like a -10. ;)

Seriously, though, I think it's impossible to assign a number to what level a person plays at. I still think of myself as a beginner, but when I compare where I am now with where I was 2 years ago, I know I've made progress. Yet I still haven't "mastered barre chords" among many other things.

What I do know is that I play a lot better now than I did 5 months ago, before I joined TG. So cheers to that, eh?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic