New Brand of Guitar Strings

frybaby

Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:19 am

Dear Forum Friends,

I was as Guitar center recently look for some new strings for both my Guild D40 and my Taylor 514CE. Pretty much settled on the strings I like for by Guild, but I always experimenting with strings for my Taylor. I love the brightness of the Taylor, but am always trying to tone down , or warm it up a bit.

I ran across some new string, and was wondering if any one had tried them.

They are (according to the salesman) made by Cleartone and are called RED.
They contain some copper in the metal mix.
Again according to the salesman may Taylor players are giving them a try and reporting the warm up the tone a bit.

I bought a sight of light, but have not put them on as I have yet to wear out my Elixers, but I am working on it.

Add some warmth to your sound.
This is the first brand of copper/bronze acoustic guitar strings. These strings contain the highest copper content of any acoustic guitar string—more than 80/20, more than phosphor bronze. Red Strings provide precise articulation, louder sound, great projection, and a warmer richer tone from the moment you tune them up. There hasn t been a significant new material introduced for acoustic guitar strings in 35 years... until now!

willem

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:25 am

From the Dean Markley website

Q: What's the difference between bronze, brass and phosphor-bronze strings?
A: The difference has to do with the ratio of copper to zinc in the wrap wire of the Bronze and Brass strings, and with the formula for the PhosBronze and Blue Steel Acoustic Strings. For instance, VintageBronze strings have a ratio of 85% copper to 15% zinc, while Formula82/R strings have a ratio of 80% copper to 20% zinc. Phosphor bronze strings, on the other hand, such as our Blue Steel acoustic strings and PhosBronze acoustics, have a ratio of 92% copper to 8% tin. The sound differences can be drastic or subtle, depending on how the finished strings are designed and wound. And what type of guitar the strings are on—different guitars respond differently to different alloys. It is a good idea to first pick your gauge, then try each of the alloys until you find the one that works perfectly for you.

From me:

In general:

nickel plated steel has a warm sound, not so much bass and is plenty bright.

Pure nickel very similar to above but not quite as bright.

Bronze - bright, crisp sound lacks a bit of warmth.

Phosphor bronze same as above but warmer

Brass, is much brighter almost metallic.

I use Blue Steel strings on my Taylor. Perfect sound combination.

Lavallee

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:53 am

frybaby wrote:
Dear Forum Friends,
Dear Forum folks,
I was as Guitar center recently look for some new strings for both my Guild D40 and my Taylor 514CE. Pretty much settled on the strings I like for by Guild, but I always experimenting with strings for my Taylor. I love the brightness of the Taylor, but am always trying to tone down , or warm it up a bit.

I ran across some new string, and was wondering if any one had tried them.

They are (according to the salesman) made by Cleartone and are called RED.
They contain some copper in the metal mix.
Again according to the salesman may Taylor players are giving them a try and reporting the warm up the tone a bit.

I bought a sight of light, but have not put them on as I have yet to wear out my Elixers, but I am working on it.

Add some warmth to your sound.
This is the first brand of copper/bronze acoustic guitar strings. These strings contain the highest copper content of any acoustic guitar string—more than 80/20, more than phosphor bronze. Red Strings provide precise articulation, louder sound, great projection, and a warmer richer tone from the moment you tune them up. There hasn t been a significant new material introduced for acoustic guitar strings in 35 years... until now!
Hi Frybaby, you mentioned you bought a set of ligth strings. Do you mean this is not what you have on your guitar now (regular size maybe)?

Marc

frybaby

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:35 am

Marc,
I mentioned light gauge only because Reds come in other gauges.
I use light exclusively on all my guitars.
I used mediums for years on my Guild, but she developed a belly (a slight bulge on the top just behind the bridge) due to years of string tension. Light reduce the tension.
FYI Martin makes a string called FLEXCore, The strings were touted by some as a good transition string moving from electric to acoustic playing. String tension is less due to the round core which is used rather than a hex core. The round core also allows for less space between the core and wrap, so a little less gunk accumulates, thus the string last a little longer. I find both claims to be true and like the strings.

Lavallee

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:50 am

That is good Frybaby, I was just concerned that you were going to put ligth gauge on a guitar set for regular. But obviously you already know about all this. I use Elixir light, but do not know much about the varieties of strings which is often a personal choice (when you have enough knowledge to make a decision) otherwise there would be only one brand that everybody would use.

Marc

Max

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:30 am

I play a Taylor 912ce and my favorite strings for this guitar are: "Dean Markley Alchemy Gold Phos Acoustic Guitar Strings". They list price for $26.95 but you can find them on the web for $9.95. I feel they give me more bass and volume, but still has the crystal clear ringing highs.

Please report back your impressions of the "REDS".

MarkM

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:52 am

Frybaby,

I know the quest you are one. Been there. For me, after much testing I decided to go with the Elixir Phosphor Bronze Medium (.013 - .056) for the Taylor DN4. I was looking for something a bit warmer. Not necessarily HD-28 warm/muddy but rather a tone that would bring out some warmth in the Ovangkol. I think I found what I was looking for. I'd be interested in what you are testing with the REDS though. Real interested in how long they last. I find that many strings sound great for about 4 hours and then they start to fade real quick. Just my .02 worth.

MarkM

frybaby

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:18 pm

Max wrote:
I play a Taylor 912ce and my favorite strings for this guitar are: "Dean Markley Alchemy Gold Phos Acoustic Guitar Strings". They list price for $26.95 but you can find them on the web for $9.95. I feel they give me more bass and volume, but still has the crystal clear ringing highs.

I have heard some good thing about Alchemy Gold, but I dont like to order on line so the cost at Guitar Center made me think twice. I was about to give them a try anyway but they did not have lights at the store. So I went with the REDS

BigBear

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:37 pm

Frybaby- I've been using Cleartones for several years now and have been a huge fan despite their high price. I have them on both my 6-strings. I have Elixir Nanos on my 12-string because Guitar Center didn't have Cleartone 12's in the gauge I wanted.

I haven't seen these new strings you mention but thanks to you I will definately check them out!

Thanks for the terrific product review. That's why this forum is so great!

Cheers! :cheer:

Max

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:36 pm

frybaby wrote:
Max wrote:

I have heard some good thing about Alchemy Gold, but I dont like to order on line so the cost at Guitar Center made me think twice. I was about to give them a try anyway but they did not have lights at the store. So I went with the REDS
If you do try the Alchemy Golds, make sure to get the Alchemy Gold Phos, they also make a, Alchemy Gold Bronze, and i felt that they were to bright.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic