Ten Years After: "I'd Love to Change the World" (a first attempt)

cosmicmechanic

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:57 am

I haven't yet posted a video ... I gotta post something,
imperfect as it may be (I mean, really).

The tune is "I'd Love to Change the World" by the band "Ten Years After", and Neil has a lesson on it.

I started learning this piece knowing it was over my head,
so I replaced one arpeggio with a sweep of the pick
and modified the strumming to fill in empty spots
where there are only vocals on the original version.

The only "singing" I attempt is to demonstrate how challenging
it is to coordinate lyrics and playing in this song's chorus.

Just to be clear, the lyrics to the chorus are:

I'd love to change the world
But I don't know what to do
So I'll leave it up to you

Anyway, watching this video made me go back to review Neil's lesson to clean this thing up.
I'll eventually post an improved, hopefully less slack-jawed version.

I would definitely appreciate your comments, see ya

dekotaj

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:10 am

Hey Cosmic.Happy new year.Relly enjoyed it.Great song and Great band.Alvin Lee really kicked butt at woodstock.You should really post this,its good.

Kevin.

Lavallee

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:16 am

Beau travail Pierre, glad you decided to go ahead with a video. It is coming out nicely. I would suggest to slow down the bass line to meet the chord strumming subsequent to it to have the whole thing at the same speed and increase the overall speed gradually. Also in the singing part when you strum, you mainly give downstrokes. You should try to keep your hand moving.

Great job

Marc

Lavallee

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:17 am

Kudos for posting, and nicely done! This looks to be a tough song, and I think you're well on your way.

For what its worth, I often isolate portions of a song down to 4, 3, or even just 2 chord changes, and just play them in a loop over and over, to get the timing consistent and smooth. Then I'll move on to the next few measures...etc. Your tone is clear and crisp; with a bit tighter and more consistent transitions you're there.

Cheers, and have a great New Year.

dennisg

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:19 am

Good job, CM. That's a challenging song to play. You appear to have all the transitions down and you don't look like you're struggling to find anything. One thing I would suggest is to consider using a metronome, because your tempo drifts throughout the song.

- Dennis

jayswett

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:40 am

Love that song. Let me know when you have mastered that electric guitar solo near the end of the song. That sounds pretty easy. No just kidding. Nice job on this vid. It doesn't look to me like you are far away from the alternating up/down plucking technique that Neil drescribes in the lesson. Keep plugging away, and you'll have it sounding even better in no time.

hasben

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:49 am

Really good job CM... to my ears. Like others,I love the song and, honestly I didn't know it was by Ten Years. Will have to add it to my playlist. Keep on brother, you are way ahead of me. FD :)

cosmicmechanic

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:27 pm

dekotaj:
Thanks for adding the Alvin Lee video, it's an essential reference to understand what a huge song this is.

dekotaj, Lavallee (Salut!), fjvdb, dennisg, jayswett, hasben (and hopefully others):
Happy New Year to you!

Thanks for your comments and encouragement, food for thought, many things I wouldn't have noticed in there.

This kind of learning experience is rather humbling, but I'm all ears for these suggestions.

It's a relief to have gotten a first video post done :)

willem

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:45 pm

Cosmic,congrat with your first vid,,,,i think with the food your already have get here,,you gonna nail this song very soon and better,,

happy new year,,the best wishes and be safe...

AcousticAl

Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:14 pm

Hey Cosmic.

Tough song to choose for your first post- and singing along to boot! Well done.

I'm sure you'll do this when you go back to the lesson- but I'd slow it down in general. Only play as fast as the hardest part in the song for you. Then you won't have to change the tempo.

Look forward to your next update!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic