Hard Case suggestions for a Taylor?

jayswett

Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:16 am

I stand corrected. I'm showing my age.

MarkM

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:03 pm

A couple of years ago I had a 110 and they gave me a hardshell case with it. It wasn't a Talor case but it fit perfectly. I had got it at GC. You may want to check online with them as they may have something for you that isn't as expensive as the Talor case. I would certainly look to go with a hardcase as you'll want to make sure that you humidify or dehumidify the guitar while it's in its case when not in use. Even though the back and sides are lamanet, the top is solid and should be looked after. Hope this helps.

MarkM

BigBear

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:19 pm

ncsurfer wrote:
I was hoping someone might have a suggestion for a good hard case for my Taylor 114ce. It came with a gig bag but I plan on traveling with it cross country in my car and would like to find a decent hard case. The ones I looked at at my local store didn't fit the GA shape very well and seemed to be overpriced. Taylor sells the specific case for $150 but I'm hoping to beat that price without sacrificing protection.

I have a Taylor 314 that came with an SKB case. It's a decent case for much less money than the very nice brown Taylor-made case my 855 is in. The fit and finish aren't great but it works.

They aren't custom fit for a particular shape but come in several sizes. SKB makes cases for everything. Another option is Gator, similar to SKB.

Check out this link:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Guitar-Case ... ig-Bags.gc

Good luck! :cheer:

ncsurfer

Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:32 pm

Thanks everyone! What a great bunch of people you are. I'll check out the GC store near where my son goes to college when I drive him back next weekend, and also look online for a Gator or SKB. If no luck there I'll go straight to Taylor.

I checked out that "United Breaks Guitars" video, what a hoot!

BigBear

Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:09 pm

I should have added, if you going to buy a Taylor, spend the scratch to buy a real Taylor case. They are very well made and give the instrument the protection they deserve! Plus they provide employment for Mexican workers in Mexico!! :cheer:

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:21 pm

I don't have a Taylor, but to protect my investments which are more unique than Taylors (dig at Bigbear lol) I have bought Gator cases to replace 2 of my guitar cases, My Cole came with a Gator and the cases you get with Coles now are Gators with the Cole Clark stamp on them anyway, I replaced my Epiphone Riviera Electric original case (which is like new) with a Gator, if you have a guitar worth several thousand you need to treat it well!!
My Alhambra came with a Maton case, which is a very strong case but if I were ever to travel I'd buy a Gator case for it. BUt if I were ever to get serious about travelling with any of my guitars I'd buy those Flight cases made from Aluminium (Aluminum for Bear).

ncsurfer

Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:44 pm

Thanks for all your help!

I ended up getting an Access Stage 1 case which fits very well and seems very sturdy. The guitar tech at the store said Access makes the Taylor cases also, so build quality/fit is similar. I wish Taylor would have included the hardcase with the 114 series but I'm happy nonetheless. It was just $89 out the door so my wallet is happy and so is my guitar.

Road trip here I come!

BigBear

Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:59 pm

ncsurfer wrote:
Thanks for all your help!

I ended up getting an Access Stage 1 case which fits very well and seems very sturdy. The guitar tech at the store said Access makes the Taylor cases also, so build quality/fit is similar. I wish Taylor would have included the hardcase with the 114 series but I'm happy nonetheless. It was just $89 out the door so my wallet is happy and so is my guitar.

Road trip here I come!

Congrats on your new case! Next time you see your guitar tech tell him for us that he's full of s..t !!!! Taylor has made all their own cases for many years at their El Cajon factory and a couple of years ago moved their case manufacturing facility to Tecate, Mexico. Their cases are a big part of their business and the appeal of their instruments!

There may be after market cases that fit Taylors but they weren't made for Taylor.

Cheers! :cheer:

tovo

Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:49 pm

Good deal on the case Ncsurfer. It should last a long time as well, given that Taylors spend far less time IN the case than OUT being played.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic