Hard Case suggestions for a Taylor?

ncsurfer

Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:54 am

I was hoping someone might have a suggestion for a good hard case for my Taylor 114ce. It came with a gig bag but I plan on traveling with it cross country in my car and would like to find a decent hard case. The ones I looked at at my local store didn't fit the GA shape very well and seemed to be overpriced. Taylor sells the specific case for $150 but I'm hoping to beat that price without sacrificing protection.

jayswett

Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:57 am

A gig bag for a Taylor doesn't make alot of sense to me. I, too, would look for something a bit more robust. Can't give you any suggestions, though.

AndyT

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:25 am

We had a thread a while back where you can get a hammer proof case for about $150. You'll have to search for it or ask Bear. He's got the whole site wired up on his end.
It was in the 'United Breaks Guitars' threads we had going.

jayswett

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:27 am

AndyT wrote:
We had a thread a while back where you can get a hammer proof case for about $150. You'll have to search for it or ask Bear. He's got the whole site wired up on his end.
It was in the 'United Breaks Guitars' threads we had going.
I recall from that thread a video of a guitar surviving a 5 story drop off a building.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:34 am

I recall from that thread a video of a guitar surviving a 5 story drop off a building.
I remember that too! If you travel on a plane with it, you can usually only take it in the cabin with a soft case. That and surviving a 5 story fall from a building are two good arguments for the gigbag!
I did manage to get my Takamine 12 string in its original battered wood case into the cabin on my plane trip to Spain last week, but it was close! But hard cases tend to be too big for that.

AndyT

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:40 am

Yeah, that one too. Now I have a friend who could sit on it as the final test. He weighs in around 400....
If it survives that, then I'll buy one.

jayswett

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:43 am

That fall from five stories involved a hard case, I believe. I would be even more impressed if it was actualy a gig bag. As for travel, I would feel comfotable with my guitar in a hard case checked with regular baggage. I would like to hear if anyone has had a bad experience with that.

lh7050

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:44 am

I always figured that if the guitar is worth buying it is worth protecting. For years we used Anvils flight cases and I think they are supberb, but for the money I'd buy the Taylor case. Good luck... :)

dennisg

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:02 am

ncsurfer,

I recently had the opposite problem: I wanted a gig bag for my 614ce, and the store ended up stripping one off of a 114ce.

I'm not comfortable spending other people's money, but I have to say that getting a hard case for your Taylor is not something to scrimp on. Get the Taylor case. First, it will fit your GA-sized guitar perfectly, with no slop room for the guitar to slide around; and second, Taylor's cases are made to practically ward off attacks from rocket-propelled grenades.

- Dennis

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:15 am

here's that video... it was a soft bag/case not a hard case, a Reunion Blues Guitar case:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic