Why did you upload that video?

dennisg

Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:57 pm

Let me start off by saying I love seeing the videos that people upload. The songs are great, the playing is inspirational, and I just appreciate the fact that people are letting it all hang out there, flapping in the breeze, for the rest of the world to see. It takes chutzpah to do that.

But I'd love to know two things about the song you chose: 1) Why did you choose it? and 2) What challenge were you trying to overcome?

I uploaded a Beatles song called "For no one." If I were to answer my own questions, it would be 1) I chose that particular song because I think it's under-appreciated and particularly beautiful, yet very playable for an inexperienced guitarist like me, and 2) I had two challenges. One was to take the arpeggio I'd learned to play in Neil's lesson of "Here comes the sun," and apply it to another song; the second challenge was to take the french horn part that's on the recording and figure out how to play it on the guitar.

For me, the purpose of watching Neil's lessons and learning new songs is to get out of my comfort zone by learning new techniques. I don't want to just upload songs I play well so that I can get kudos. I want to learn songs that stretch me as a player. So whenever I upload a video, I'll try to let you know what I learned from the song. I hope you'll do the same when you upload.

Why did you choose that particular song?
What guitar-playing challenge(s) did you overcome in learning the song?

- Dennis

dekotaj

Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:19 pm

Dennis Great question.Now you got me thinking see i did the last upload.Laya was a favorite of mine when I was growing up.And trying hard to work on some leads.through it would be a good song.For me a difficult song to learn.Also for me not use to playing for people.Hopping this would help me with that.Not the same as playing in front of people.But still nerve racking.And as far as Neils songs Ive done a couple,Working on Romanza right know(type writer version).So not trying for Kudos.Just trying to share with other and get to be a better all around guitar player.Hope this answer your question,At least for my upload.

Thanks again,
Kevin

dennisg

Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:48 pm

Thanks, Kevin. I hope you continue to choose songs that challenge you. Feel free to let us know how they challenge you at the time of your upload.

- Dennis

AcousticAl

Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:24 pm

That's a good (and tough) question to answer. As has been pointed out more than a few times now :angry: , I have quite a few videos uploaded. I've looked at these uploads as more of a video diary of my playing- as opposed to showing something specific that I have learned.

I choose a song because I enjoy the original, so I assume that I'll also enjoy playing it as well. That hasn't always been the case, but it usually is.

Having said all that, here's a few songs that I did upload for specific reasons..

Brain Damage - Was the first video that I (or anyone) uploaded to TG. It was the song I was working on when TG first enabled this function.

Angie - was the first song I uploaded using the microBR. I was looking for feedback on how it sounded.

Never Goin Back Again - Jay had posted that he was frustrated with trying that song and was giving up on it for a while. I posted my version in the hopes that it would give him a boost that he could do it too.

Nights in White Satin - Was my first effort at adding the melody to my strumming.

Old Man and Out on the Weekend were my first attempts at palm muting. Was looking for feedback.

Down on the Corner was an example of a fragment of a song that I posted where I had a specific question for Neil et al.

The Loner was (and is) a tough song for me. My strumming has always been inferior to my fingerpicking. Was looking for strumming feedback.

That's about it. There's usually something new with every song that I try to do. Bass runs, weird chords different strumming etc. Will write specifics on future posts (if there are any). More often than not though, I'll post because I like the song and am happy with where it's at to date.

**Edit- I meant if there are any specifics on the songs that I post-- not if I post any future videos at all. OF COURSE I'll post more videos! Gotta keep my title, right Chris? ;)

tovo

Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Good question.

The last one I uploaded because I had put what I felt was sufficient practice into it and still wasn't happy, so I figured I might get told why it still sucked and I did. Now I am working on fixing it with plenty of good reference. If I hadn't uploaded I would still be plugging away getting frustrated. I learned more from that upload than any other, but it's really bad for your ego if your aim is just to show how well you have the song mastered. I have never posted something I'm entirely happy with.

Having said that I don't see any problem with posting a ripper version of a song you have worked hard on and have down cold. I enjoy those videos as well and the players have clearly put in a hell of a lot of work so why not share them?

There's definitely heaps more videos going up now than I first joined.

BobR

Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:45 pm

I have uploaded a few times.
Still the Same was the first song I learned from Neil before TG went live and I wanted the feed back which I did get. So my second posting of that song included the Bass run which I probably wouldn't have done. Thanks.

Lonely People I had played a bit and thought it might spawn a few more America lessons.

Father and Son was one that I really enjoyed and again was looking for the feedback.

Basically I really enjoy playing and and when I think I have something sounding kinda OK to me I like the opinions(good or bad) to improve on it.

Bob

mark

Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:56 pm

Mines a mixture.

I posted Old Man because I wanted feedback about Palm muting.
Posted Windy and Warm because I couldn't believe how well it turned out.

I've decided its probably best to post only things which I think I can get help with.

I think it's good where people are posting a series of videos of the same song. The progress shown is showing how totally guitars is working.

I don't see a problem with people posting what they like. If it's a perfect version, that's fine. Just shows that peopple are getting better at guitar.

dennisg

Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:32 pm

mark wrote:
I don't see a problem with people posting what they like.
I don't either. It's just not my preference for me. I can play songs all day that I love that demand nothing from me as a guitarist. But that's not how I really want to use the site.

Just being here, applying the thought process of how I'm going to stretch my knowledge and experience, shapes the songs that I choose.

- Dennis

jayswett

Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:17 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Never Goin Back Again - Jay had posted that he was frustrated with trying that song and was giving up on it for a while. I posted my version in the hopes that it would give him a boost that he could do it too.
Still struggling with this, sadly. The good news, though, for what it's worth, is that Landslide is coming along nicely. This will probably be my next video, which I will post mostly because the solo has been such a struggle for me, but also because the song is fairly easy to play and I think it would encourage some fellow fingerpickers to take a whack at it. If I could only sing the damn thin...

wrench

Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:44 pm

A very good question Dennis.

I posted videos so far for various reasons. My first two were really bad on so many levels, and I will use them as baselines to compare updates. The third one was a goal. I decided months earlier to play the song for my wife on our anniversary, and arguably didn't make it on time. It was so-so, but most significantly training-wise, it was perfectly TG lesson compliant, which is why I posted it on TG. Every pick stroke was correct. My last post was The Loner that I recorded literally 30 minutes after I watched Neil's lesson. I find that song easy to play and something about it just makes me want to strum the strings right off the guitar. My follow up to that song will be improved strumming, smoother chord changes, and a huge exercise in adrenaline control.

My next recording will be my contribution to the collaborative effort on Heart of Gold. After that will be follow ups to previous postings to gauge progress and seek kudos - not for me, but for Neil, TG, and my TG friends who fostered my development these last months. A special follow up will be From the Beginning, as it was my first and worst post, and Neil challenged TARGET members to post this song during his last webinar. I am not one to steer clear of challenge. My next postings of new material will be Father and Son, which BobR is also working on, and an original composition.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic