Why did you upload that video?

AndyT

Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:26 pm

I uploaded mine for 2 reasons.

1. I wanted feedback on my playing and I got some.

2. I wanted to post a non-TG song and see how that flew because all my stuff is Christian based.

dennisg

Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:25 am

AcousticAl wrote:
That's a good (and tough) question to answer. As has been pointed out more than a few times now :angry: , I have quite a few videos uploaded. I've looked at these uploads as more of a video diary of my playing- as opposed to showing something specific that I have learned.

I choose a song because I enjoy the original, so I assume that I'll also enjoy playing it as well. That hasn't always been the case, but it usually is.

Having said all that, here's a few songs that I did upload for specific reasons..

Brain Damage - Was the first video that I (or anyone) uploaded to TG. It was the song I was working on when TG first enabled this function.

Angie - was the first song I uploaded using the microBR. I was looking for feedback on how it sounded.

Never Goin Back Again - Jay had posted that he was frustrated with trying that song and was giving up on it for a while. I posted my version in the hopes that it would give him a boost that he could do it too.

Old Man and Out on the Weekend were my first attempts at palm muting. Was looking for feedback.

Down on the Corner was an example of a fragment of a song that I posted where I had a specific question for Neil et al.

The Loner was (and is) a tough song for me. My strumming has always been inferior to my fingerpicking. Was looking for strumming feedback.

That's about it. There's usually something new with every song that I try to do. Bass runs, weird chords different strumming etc. Will write specifics on future posts (if there are any). More often than not though, I'll post because I like the song and am happy with where it's at to date.

**Edit- I meant if there are any specifics on the songs that I post-- not if I post any future videos at all. OF COURSE I'll post more videos! Gotta keep my title, right Chris? ;)
There are lots of challenges in that list. Thanks, Al.

- Dennis

AcousticAl

Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:54 am

I added Nights in White Satin. That was my first effort at adding the melody line to my strumming.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:42 am

I posted all of mine just to keep up with Al. No, just kidding!

I suspect like many (probably most) people here, I'm alone with my guitar enough (too much) and posting a video is a way of connecting with others, getting feedback, pats on the back and good advice. Getting video feedback from Neil was a blast. So for me it's mostly getting in touch with everyone else and giving myself a little goal to go for as playing on camera is more pressure. It's been a real motivator and I have needed that (the vacume of my empty room can sometimes suck too much out of me). I've also been using it to get myself used to being on camera and to make a record of what I'm playing. It's a good mirror to look in because it's my peers looking back at me and I can trust the picture it gives me of myself.
I posted the Story in Your Eyes as it was the very first time I'd done anything fancy except strum, so learning that little riff and the syncopation was a blast.
Tuesday Afternoon was an exercise in changing from picking to 2 different styles of strumming and holding the timing.
Heart of Gold was just to show a neat variation which a good friend of mine showed me and I wanted to share.
Cold as Gold was a moment of temporary madness and the biggest test of courage exposing myself on a self-composed song. And it paid off big time. I was able to take on board some suggestions and move it forward. It was a very motivating experience and not at all the horror I feared.
If You Could Read My Mind was simply placing and sharing my all time favourite song with my guitar friends. I was glad I did as Neil came back with a long list of his favourite GL songs.
Question was a blast: Finally I reckoned I had the confidence to play this in front of a knowing audience... it had been my dream to play that song for 25 years!
Another dream very close to my heart was to record something with my daughter, so Summer Wine was really special, as many noted.
Three Roses had been a big challenge in listening and rendering something complicated into something simple but workable and to see if it was any good as I just couldn't tell, on my own. So much of posting has been coming out of the closet and having people who know listen and give me feedback, without which, I'd be floating around in a void not knowing if things were getting better or not.

So for me, posting has been about finding out where I stand, gaining confidence and motivation and interacting in a fabulous way with all the great people at TG.

heyjoe

Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:38 am

First 2 I posted at about the same time as Al's first few, they were done mainly to see where I was at, as a guitar player, seeing yourself on video gives you a whole new perspective on your playing, on your strengths and your weaknesses.

I learnt more from watching the videos back, and the positive feedback I have received than almost anything else.

I posted then to get feedback, to see how I was doing as a player, and also it doesn't hurt to do something different once in a while, to take a jump into the unknown and see what happens. In the past I've been in a practising rut, this got me out of it and motivated me like never before, and its a good way to introduce yourselves to the great and goodly folk on this site too.

I'm not uploading videos at the moment as I have lots of things I need to work on, I'm about to plan what I would like to accomplish overt the next year, and that will include more videos, new ones and hopefully revisiting and improving on original posted videos.

Joe

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic