Anyone get (or give) something guitar-related for the holidays?

dennisg

Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Imagine my wife's surprise when she opened an odd-shaped box to find a gift that was completely unexpected: a ukulele. Her jaw dropped open, and the first words out of her mouth were ...

"I'm not sure I want this!"

She's normally not that ungrateful. But when she looked at the ukulele, she saw a commitment to learning something she'd never wanted to learn. When I mentioned that it would be kind of cool if we could play music together, she thought about it, and reconsidered. I offered to return the uke to the store, but she wanted to try it out. So I taught her a couple of chords — C, G, and G7 — and showed her how to transition back and forth from one to the other. I think she's digging it now. Every day, I hear her sawing away at that thing, playing goofy little elementary songs that feature those chords.

Time will tell.

So, it got me thinking: any of you get or give something music-related for Christmas or Hanukah?

- Dennis

Chasplaya

Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:16 pm

I didn't give anything Guitar related unless you count a Guitar Hero Strat to my stepdaughter. I did get a cool little book like an guitar encyclopedia, and I also got a 3d print of a guitarist.

Edit: I also got a Digital Weather station primarily for the Hygrometer to measure the humidity in my guitar room

jayswett

Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:21 pm

I bought a hard case for myself. That doesn't count, though. My wife bought me a guitar Christmas ornament. It was actually a violin, but I didn't tell her that. The message was clear though, which was the best gift she could have given me: "I love your guitar playing. Keep it up!"

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:00 am

Lol I'm *supposed* to get my guitar, but that hasn't happened yet. Tragedy.

On the plus side, I'm learning lots of theory while I'm waiting.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:46 am

I gave my daughter a Kodak HD video Cam which is very good when pointed at guitar players!! How selfless of me! ;-)
She loved it.

Music Junkie

Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Bought my oldest son guitar lessons for Christmas (he goes right after me, so we get to share that each week).

Received a new guitar strap for my Martin from both boys. It is, what's the word, interesting......yeah. Love it though, as it came from them!

MJ

BigBear

Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:08 pm

Nope, I got a 160GB iPod from my wife! I already have 220 albums loaded on it and I've barely touched the capacity!

Pretty cool! :cheer:

michelew

Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:06 pm

I didn't really get it for Christmas. I got it a little after Christmas because a friend was visiting his mum for Christtmas. But, the love and the spirit is still there. A classical guitar - I wrote a (very long be warned) blog about it. Sweet!

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:47 am

BigBear wrote:
Nope, I got a 160GB iPod from my wife! I already have 220 albums loaded on it and I've barely touched the capacity!

Pretty cool! :cheer:
Bear: If you run out of stuff to put on it, just contact me.....lol I have almost 40,000 songs and not enough space on my 160GB pod. Have to make some good playlists and change it up from time to time.

MJ

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:54 am

...and I just got a Gator G-slinger delux soft case for my 12 string for my birthday.... cool.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic