Wooden Plectrums/Picks- ever tried one?

heyjoe

Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:49 am

Hello

I was in a guitar store today having a look around, trying thr guitars etc etc, as you do and saw something that I've never seen before, plectrums/picks made out of wood.

Having never tried one before, I was curious, so had to have a go. The store owner said that they are quite unlike regular plectrums and he was right, I don't know the mechanics of it, but it makes my guitar sound even better than it already does- so I bought a few.

Then I got to thinking, we all play wooden guitars, with metal strings, yet we play them with bits of plastic, wouldn't playing them with bits of wood be better anyway, and also a lot more eco-friendly as well?

So when you're next in a guitar store, see if they have any and check them out, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Joe

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:52 am

Now, I was going to say... I wooden't do that.... but if you say there's a better sound, I'm interested Joe. Fell better too? ... I don't use a pick because I hate the loss of feel on the strings... but I really should get to grips with it.... find it difficult to get the right stiffness. I assume with wood it's lees flexible... unless it's bamboo or such?

heyjoe

Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:56 am

Thats the strange thing chris, its stiffer, thicker and i get more feel from it, makes no sense I know, but works for me.

it felt better to, and i suppose should i need to change the shape at all, i can do it with a file.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:41 am

....made of Norwegian Wood then Joe?

wrench

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:45 am

heyjoe,

I never saw a wooden plectrum to try, but If I found one I wood try it. I just couldn't hold it back. Sorry.

How was the sound different? I have been surprised at how different materials and thicknesses sound. The differences are quite dramatic in my opinion.

wrench

wadestar

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:43 pm

Never seen a wood pick, toothpick ya but for guitar no. I have had a brass pick that I can no longer find to buy out there. One pick I am glad they no longer make is a tortoise shell pick, like ivory keys on a piano glad there gone.

MarkM

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:49 pm

I'm always searching for that special pick. I've tried all sorts for sizes and widths. Even tried one made from wheat which was nice and soft and mellowed the sound a bit but it was to think at 2mm. I'm really interested in how you compare this wood pick with say plastic, nylon or etc........

MarkM

Chasplaya

Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Now I might just need to branch out and leaf the old plastic alone and root around for these wooden picks now that you've twigged to a different pick. So I won't be a sap and knot leaf these alone i'd be nuts not to. They might become poplar and be great for playing on the beech.

Chas Wood lol :laugh:

PS seriously they do sound like a good idea, will do some research locally.

dennisg

Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Now I might just need to branch out and leaf the old plastic alone and root around for these wooden picks now that you've twigged to a different pick. So I won't be a sap and knot leaf these alone i'd be nuts not to. They might become poplar and be great for playing on the beech.
Son of a birch, Chas, reading your previous post makes me pine to branch out into a different career. Now, koa way.

- Dennis

Chasplaya

Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:49 pm

dennisg wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
Son of a birch, Chas, reading your previous post makes me pine to branch out into a different career. Now, koa way.

- Dennis
Maple I need to spruce things up a bit O(a)k, that willow this post to make more sense. Now i'll bark off a bit and leave you budding posters and get on ma-hog-any ways.

Oh dear how sad....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic