Are coated strings worth the price?

AndyT

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:11 am

I can not watch the elixir videos either. When I try and click on them they are only pictures of a video.

wrench

Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:22 am

AndyT wrote:
Have you ever seen Tommy Emmanuel restring and tune his guitar? Once he's got the strings on it takes him about 60 seconds and its in tune and stays in tune.

That was an interesting comment Tommy made about a guitar "getting used to" the same brand strings. And I think that's entirely possible - I just don't think 999,999/1,000,000 people could hear it.

Resonance is not a nice natural phenomenon. It is violent and destructive, and it is what causes a guitar top to make sound, and the manner in which the wood changes molecular structure to age is a direct response to the tones to which it is exposed. In fact I always thought a tonewood was best aged to white noise so its sound wouldn't tune to some predominant frequency.

Tommy somewhat validated that hypothesis with his comment, but if he can actually hear that difference, that is like a sonic version of x-ray vision.

Every time I hear this prodigious artist play OR talk, he just amazes me.

kenoakee

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:46 pm

In Response To Wrench's Question About String Quality

I'm realitivly new to guitar plauing but i know junk when i use it ....I bought a few packs of strings from my local wall-mart thinking that they would be good enough for someone of my experience and playing abilities and that with todays technology's most strings would be in the same playing field (more or less)....WRONG!! the strings I'm referring to are "Rocker Music Tools" brand...complete garbage...when I got them home I changed the strings and then began playing,they sounded realy tinny off the hop and deadend within about 3 or 4 days ...about a week and a half to two weeks into it the winding was comming undone on the "A" and "D" strings ....I dont play that aggressivly....so it pays not to be too cheap

Chasplaya

Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:09 am

I just bought new strings for my resonator today $36 NZ.

They are coated D'Addarios .016 - .056.

First time ever buying coated strings so will see what difference they make and report back

willem

Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:33 am

Chasplaya wrote:

First time ever buying coated strings so will see what difference they make and report back
SO, theslide bleus is coming???

Chasplaya

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:53 pm

willem wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:

SO, theslide bleus is coming???
I am going to do a before and after old strings vs new strings , this way get your opinions on quality of sound (not playing lol) But will have to wait till at least this weekend got a big week on at work.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic