Are coated strings worth the price?

BigBear

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:27 am

I just plunked down for another set of coated strings (Elixir Nanos in this case). I've long been a fan of Cleartone and Elixir but after spending another $14 US, I got to wondering if I'm really getting 3X the wear out of them over regular phosphur bronze strings since they are 3X the price.

They seem to hold up well and not fray like earlier versions but they go dull with frequent play. Regular PB's oxidize quickly but don't seem to dull as badly.

Anyone have any strong feelings about these strings?

haoli25

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:46 am

Good question Rick. I have been using the Elixir Nanoweb strings for a couple of months now. I must admit I am a believer now. For those of us that play a lot (2 to 3 hours a day) I think they are actually a little easier on the fingers than the old phosphur bronze strings I had used before. As for the life of the strings, I actually get pretty good mileage out of mine. I do use "The String Cleaner" with a spritz of 'Finger-Ease' everyday. Keeping the strings clean is the key to the life of any strings you use.

Bill

AndyT

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:19 am

I really think coated strings are worth the extra money. They last longer for me and they don't go dead as quickly.

ffsooo3

Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:46 am

I had the same set of Elixir Polyweb Lights on my Ovation for 3+ years and the sound was still brilliant! Nice crisp highs and full bass. AND they never squeaked. I have since changed to a cheap low end set (don't ask me why) and from the get go they didn't sound as good as my 3 year old Elixirs! I'm waiting for the next 'super-blowout-sale' at Guitar Center to hopefully get the Elixirs a little cheaper than $15 a set.....

Lavallee

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:42 am

I have been using them for a few months as well and I really like them. I find that they are worth the price difference (about the same cost in Canada.

Rick, since you are the one who introduced them to us (to me anyway) in the forum, thank you. That was a good recommendation.

Marc

wrench

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:58 am

Bear,

You will get a wide a variety of answers, but my two cents worth goes like this: it depends on your body chemistry and how much you play. Personally, I get zero additional life from coated strings.

If you play the same guitar several hours per day, I think you will get absolutely no additional life from coated strings. I think the only way to leverage the advantage of coated strings is to not play them out in less than four weeks or so, especially if you have a very corrosive touch. If you have multiple guitars, and don't play some of them every day, the coating will probably help. On the everyday guitar, though, I think you will play them out before the coating has a chance to extend any advantage.

I agree with Bill's observation of coated strings being a little slicker, but I don't find them superior at all in life or sound, and really *stunning* at the cash register. I also agree that wiping them down daily will extend the life by resisting corrosion, and I think practicing with nylon picks resists deadening because they do not pack particles into the windings like celluloid does.

wrench

wrench

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:35 am

You can always try putting a very light coat of olive oil on your strings. I know a number of people who swear it makes them last longer.

ffsooo3

Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:08 am

wandoctor wrote:
You can always try putting a very light coat of olive oil on your strings. I know a number of people who swear it makes them last longer.
Would mineral oil work as well? Or better? Might olive oil go rancid?

6stringwannabe

Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:22 am

I've seen that concern on another forum I moderate. One guy has been using olive oil on his strings for 10 years. Here is a cut and paste from the topic:

As for "vegetable oils," I'd agree that they generally tend to become both sticky and funky smelling. Oils like corn, safflower, canola or rapeseed, peanut, sunflower, soybean, etc. tend to have lots of polyunsaturated fatty acids in them. Oxygen reacts with the multiple double bonds in them and produces peroxides and epoxides that react and crosslink with neighboring fatty acid chains to make polymers. It also produces oxygen free radicals that carry on the reactions. That's what makes finishing oils like linseed and tung dry into a solid resin. Most other vegetable oils are semidrying ones. Olive oil has in it mostly fat molecules containing three oleic acid chains. That's a monounsaturated fatty acid with much less tendency to gum up.

He says he has never had it turn rancid. He only uses a light coat.

I remember the days of my youth putting linseed oil on my cricket bat. It dried out occassionally, but it never went rancid.

I dunno. It works for him, however YMMV.

BigBear

Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:56 am

wrench wrote:
Bear,

You will get a wide a variety of answers, but my two cents worth goes like this: it depends on your body chemistry and how much you play. Personally, I get zero additional life from coated strings.

wrench
Kevin- That is exactly what I'm wondering, if my body chemistry is causing these very thinly coated strings to oxidize faster. I do use The String Cleaner but have been underwhelmed by its impact.

I have been playing a lot lately and I tend to play alot with just fingers and no pick so finger oils may be contributing to the problem.

Doc- was he using olive oil for coated strings or uncoated or both? Did it impact the sound much?

Marc- you are very welcome, that's the purpose of this forum; to share information we all have.

Thanks to all for the feedback! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic