Are coated strings worth the price?

BigBear

Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:58 am

Neil- if you are monitoring this thread could you comment on this subject? I know you change your strings frequently so you probably don't bother with coated strings. Do you have any experience with them?

wadestar

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:48 pm

Yes they are I use Elixer strings and they out last any other string I have tryed, plus are so much better feeling on the fingers when doing barr cords. so for me they are worth the price

pigpenz

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:54 pm

wadestar wrote:
Yes they are I use Elixer strings and they out last any other string I have tryed, plus are so much better feeling on the fingers when doing barr cords. so for me they are worth the price
Bought a Greg Bennet Acustice guitar last year after about 3 months i couldnt tune the strings very well or they wouldnt stay in tune well, replaced with coated Elixir and still have them on. I think Elixir's are great

jayswett

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:40 pm

Big Bear - Uncoated. However it extended the life in a similar fashion to coated strings.

wrench

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:59 pm

Bear,

I apologize if I'm jacking your thread, and I will start a new one at your request, but this seems like a a relevant question here.

From the comments above, the life of a string may be extended by coatings, cleaning, oils, etc., but no one commented that strings don't eventually go dead. I think we generally agree that we regard strings as dead when they don't sound good anymore, but exactly what attribute causes the string to sound dead?

wrench

dennisg

Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:23 pm

This may sound overly simplistic, but I've found that they best way to extend the life of your strings is to wash your hands before playing. I've found that strings last much longer when not subjected to body oils.

- Dennis

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:38 pm

dennisg wrote:
This may sound overly simplistic, but I've found that they best way to extend the life of your strings is to wash your hands before playing. I've found that strings last much longer when not subject to body oils.

- Dennis
I have not researched or bothered too much about string technology , but I think Dennis's advice is sound and is mostly what I consider more important, if the strings don't get dirty in the first place they will last longer, very simplistic i know but its what I do and my strings seem to last a long time, I don't actually diary when I change as this seems pointless, cos if I play a lot one week and less the next then the string wear is uneven at best. Also temp variations mean re-tuning the guitar and without getting into metalurgical science it would seem obvious that tensioning and re-tensioning strings would add to wear and subsequently reduce life. I haven't tried coated strings but if I were it would not be because i'm looking for extended life, I would do it for the sound produced, if it were significantly better then yes I'd go that way, if not then whats the point.

So for string life cleanliness and temperature may be more important, playability well I might just buy some to find out for myself sometime.

michelew

Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:42 pm

I also use Elixir and have found them fabulous. In Australia they are AU$30 (US$27.69; CA$28.52; EURO C=19.24). Uncoated strings are about AU$15. But, I recently got a set of 3 for AU$70. Regardless of the expense I really like them. The sound lasts for ages, I had my last set of for more than 3 months. I use 11s (0.011mm on the high E). And I find that it also gives me a tension that I like. In uncoated strings the 12s are too hard for me and the 11s are too light and tinney sounding. But, the coated 11s are "just right" (OK imagine me saying that with long golden lock -- oow maybe not - sort of halloweenish).

wrench

Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:56 pm

Dennis,

You're halfway to where I was headed. I think there's little disagreement that effort of any type to keep strings clean will extend their lives, but they eventually go dull. Is that because they eventually get dirty and/or oxidized, or is it something more physical, such as the faces of the windings wearing against each other or a reduction of ductility? The coatings that manufacturers apply to these strings will both prevent oxidation and reduce physical wear. So which were they trying to achieve? Metallurgically speaking, I know these coatings are very effective, so I must think that those of us that do not get longer life from coated strings must be killing them with dirt.

wrench

jayswett

Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:56 pm

I agree about playing with clean hands. I'll wipe 'em with alcohol, but washing my hands prior to playing makes my calouses too soft.

Since I keep my strings relatively clean anyway, they are dead long before they wear out.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic