Martin and Taylor

tovo

Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:37 am

I have had this conversation with Bear a few times, but in Australia both Martin and Taylor are really well respected brands. (We have our own brands here, Maton which is very popular and Cole Clark which has a quite loyal following but my question only relates to Martin and Taylor).

So I'm very interested in a comparison of the 2 brands from the perspective of TG members. A LOT of people here seem to play Taylor, but not so many Martin. I know that Martin is by far the older brand which usually carries with it a very loyal following. I've played the Martin and it's a beautiful guitar, so is Taylor generally outselling Martin? It would seem so if this site is any indication. Am I correct or are the Martin players simply less inclined to blow the trumpet for Martin? Why is Taylor seemingly doing so well? Is it price? Quality? Better marketing? What?

This thread isn't meant to be restricted to those members playing Martin or Taylor either, I'm interested in everyone's opinion of the 2 brands.

BigBear

Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:15 am

Tony- C.F. Martin is the oldest continuously operating guitar company in the US founded in 1883. Many of the innovations we all take for granted, like herribone bracing, cross bracing, even the dreadnaught guitar were all Martin innovations.

There have been many imitators but few serious contenders for the King of American guitars. Extremely consistent production values and amazing resale values have kept Martin at the top.

Then in the 1974 along came Bob Taylor and his partner with a bunch of innovations notably the bolt-on neck (vs. the old-style dovetail joint), the use of CNC machines to insure absolute consistancy and a new ultraviolet finish that dried much faster, and harder, than nitrocellulose. Plus a real commitment to not cut corners like many others were doing just to stay alive and survive the end of the folk era.

Today, according to the Wall Street Journal Martin produces 52,000 guitars with 575 employees. Taylor produces over 80,000 guitars per year with 550 employees.

Why is Taylor so popular? I have a few theories. First, Martin has always been a very expensive guitar, out of the reach of many musicians. Taylors are also expensive but they have done a wonderful job with their various models. You can get basically the same guitar in up to 9 different levels of tone woods and ornamentation. They are basically all made the same and they have the same necks whether they are $600 guitars or $10,000 guitars.

Next, Taylors have great necks. That is often the first thing people mention when they play a Taylor. "That was just like a Stratocaster neck!" The necks are often described as very "fast", like a good electric guitar.

Tonally, Taylors would be considered very bright sounding compared to Martins being more balanced or neutral. This brightness gives the performing artist more "punch" when run through electronics. And many people just like this bright sound. When I went in to buy a Martin HD-28 I was very impressed with the guitar but the sound was just okay. The equivalently priced Taylor simply blew the Martin away with it's sound. I just belive the bright, clear tone and deep bass of the Taylor dreadnaught.

Also, I don't think Martin advertises to the same degree Taylor does. I think Martin assumes is you can afford one of their guitars you'll seek them out. You already know who Martin is. Taylor being newer still needs to do some educating. Plus, all really good guitar shops sell Martin. Not everyone sells Taylor yet although they are getting more universal.

My satisfaction with Taylor is well known on this forum so I won't even go there but so far I've yet to find anyone who hasn't fallen in love with their Taylors. Does anyone out there not love their Taylor? :cheer:

Catman

Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:49 am

I am looking for a new guitar, and where I live (Israel) I have to go out of my way to even see a Martin, whereas Taylor (albeit mainly low-end) are readily available.

And my impressions are very similar to Rick's.

I'll be buying a Taylor (eventually)

AndyT

Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:06 am

I've played a couple of Taylors and I guess I'm one of the few that did not fall in love with them. They are very nice guitars but the sound simply did not do it for me.

Realize now, I play a Takamine copy of a Martin, so that will give you a good indication where my ear is. My Grandfather played a Martin and he was one of my major influences in music.

The very best sounding guitar I've ever heard was a Babicz:
http://www.babiczguitars.com/dreadnough ... wood.shtml

It has such a sweet sound and I simply love it. If I had the money, I'd own it already.

Taylor has a rep for a great neck but, I did not care for it. Martin has a rep for great guitars, but even if I had the money, I just don't care for them that much.

Chasplaya

Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:14 am

Well it has been said that I'm a Cole Clark fan, which may be true but I bought my Cole after trying out several Martins all a good deal more expensive too I might add, Taylors were not an option as at that time they were few and far between. I also believe the Coles are not disimilar to Taylors having that brighter sound and good necks and they (Coles) are all essentially the same base guitar just the embellishments improve and get flasher as opposed to 'being better'. I like the sound of Taylors that i've heard more so than Martins. It may be a bit snobbish of Martin and not market as much, as the competition has improved and despite history and their innovative nature of the past , reputations only hold good for so long!

tovo

Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:33 am

Thanks particularly Bear for such a thorough response, and you other guys also. I also agree with what Chas has written, even Coke and McDonalds still see the need to advertise and everyone knows who they are as well. It doesn't seem to make much sense to have a great product and rely on it to sell itself.

bobbeanbags

Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:54 am

I have tried both Martins and Taylors and love the neck and tone of Taylors! I own 3 different models ... a 6 string (815), 12 string (855) and a 214c that I travel with (I used to use a baby taylor for this, but I bought the 214c from my brother for a steal ... I didnt want the airlines wrecking my 815). Just my opinion but they play so easily ... even the 12 string.

KennyF

Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:58 am

I would think that the biggest reason for higher sales of Taylors over Martins is the quality of guitars under $1200.00.

The Martins that are targeted toward the entry level player are NOT in the same league as their high end counterparts. Personally, I think you'd have to spend a least $2500.00 to get a real Martin (Standard Series). For me, that would be an HD-28 or a 000-28, or both.

On the other hand, I've never met a Taylor that I really liked... At all.

In lower priced guitars, I think I'd go Takamine over Taylor. In the high end, definitely Martin.

wrench

Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:01 am

I do not own either one because as a guitarist I have not earned the justification to buy one. If I ever make my Yamahas sound good, I will be shopping for a Taylor. I have played both as a window shopper, and I really pay close attention to legitimate performers when they play these instruments, and Taylor just knocks my socks off. Martins have a sound that I can pick out of a crowd, and it's a sound that doesn't particularly interest me. I do wonder, however, what a nice Taylor would sound like in the hands of Tommy Emmanuel.

tovo

Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:50 am

I have to say that I agree with much of what was already said in this thread. Except I'd like to point out that the difference between them is evident even to someone *completely* new to guitars like me.

I had done my research and recognized the names when I went to listen, but didn't know anything beyond that. I greatly preferred the bright Taylor to the duller (mellower?) sounding Martin. And when I held them both, the Taylor felt so much better, particularly because of the neck. I commented on that right away to my husband, and it's pretty amusing that I'm seeing the same type of observation here. Smooth and pretty!

I'm very interested in hearing the higher end Martins now, because at least at the low end of the spectrum I don't think they're super competitive.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic